Chap 11 - Asphodel

Namjoon tested the waters out for a moment. He brushed his lips against mine, lasting a single beat, until he retreated - barely - and returning fully committed. I could feel eyes watching us, I knew that Jungkook and Jiho, probably Jimin were making fun of us, but despite the fact that I was rather against public displays of affection, at that very minute I couldn't have cared less. All that mattered in those few seconds were the fact that Namjoon and I were doing something that I in a million years would never have expected--kissing.

But it seemed to have been over almost as soon as it started. Namjoon jerked away from me, breaking our lips. He jumped back two steps, very nearly glaring at me. I sucked in a breath, waiting for him to speak. We stood there, staring at each other, him in shock and myself in confusion. I noticed the three kids in the back scatter away, like they sensed something bad was going to happen.

It was the calm before a storm.

And Kim Namjoon broke the silence with one word. "No."

I looked at him, my heart rate climbing up at an immensely unhealthy rate. I narrowed my eyes at him, attempting to let out of the air I was holding in my lungs.

"N-no?" I stuttered, cursing myself for sounding so vulnerable. My voice cracked slightly, I was hurt, because I knew exactly what he was saying no to.

"We can't," he said. I glowered at him.

"Why the hell not?" I replied through clenched teeth. I sniffed back the tears spilling through my eyes and held myself high.

"I'll hurt you. I'm not a good person. You didn't see me before you came to town, you didn't see what I was," he whispered. My expression softened as I looked at his pained form, his scrunched shoulders and regretful face.

"That was the past," I replied, attempting the close the gap he had put between us. He inched further away, though, with every shuffle of my feet. I stared at him, refusing to break eye contact, and soon, Namjoon was backed up towards the only empty wall of the shop.

"Don't do this," I begged. "Don't. You aren't like your mother."

He bit his lip and I glanced at them for a moment, remembering that mere minutes previously, mine had been on his. I felt a blush make its way up my neck at the memory and I grinned slightly, barely noticeable.

"You didn't see me before," he repeated pleadingly.

"I don't care," I replied, pressing my lips to his again. He wrapped one arm around my waist, albeit reluctantly, the other arm hesitantly placed around my neck. He kissed me back with the same desperation and I smiled into it.

It must have gone on like that for a while, minutes, at least. I could hear the twins and Jimin play-gagging and teasing us like earlier but I didn't care one bit. It wasn't until the shop opened, and a customer walked in, that Namjoon and I broke breathlessly apart. He gave me one last glance before showing himself to whoever had walked in.

I smiled to myself and touched my lips lightly before following the Flower Boy himself. When the customer had purchased flowers for his wife, I started a conversation.

"So how'd you do it?" I asked, plopping myself down on the stool behind the counter. Namjoon looked over at me, smirking slightly.

"Do what?" he feigned ignorance. One flat look from myself was enough to get him talking. "Hoseok and Taehyung helped a lot."

"What d'you mean? Hobi didn't know," I replied, but I knew quite well that that was a lie. I'd suspected him from the very beginning.

"Not at first," he said, surprising me. "But Taehyung couldn't keep his mouth shut, especially in front of a Hoseok who was demanding answers. He's quite scary when he wants to be."