Past 1: Mangle, The Naive One

"I never believed in destiny. But now, I realized, you were destined to change me." -Mangle Ventura

9 years ago...

October 25, 2006

Mangle Ventura was an oddball. No, she wasn't crazy. She was just plain weird. Why? You'll see...

She stared at those golden eyes which also stared deeply into her own. She fidgeted. She wasn't comfortable at all. Although, she didn't dare blink nor look away.

Those eyes were the opposite of hers, although hers was the same color. She couldn't tell what he was thinking. But she felt like he could see through her.

A 5-year old Mangle Ventura was currently having a staring contest with another 5-year old Foxy Cooper. They didn't know each other...yet...but both of them believed in hate at first sight.

A gush of wind passed by and Mangle blinked. She didn't fail to notice the smirk lingering on her opponent's face as he witnessed her lost but suddenly went back to his stoic face. She gritted her teeth.

"Mangle, this is Foxy. His family had just moved the past 2 days at the house next to ours. Be nice okay?" Mrs. Angelica Ventura smiled at the two children in front of her. She didn't receive a reply from her daughter.

"Mangle?" she called out. The said child looked at her mother and glared which looked like a pout and her eyes screaming I-DON'T-LIKE-HIM-AT-ALL-IN-FACT-I-HATE-HIM. The boy's face remained anonymous. 

Angelica ignored her tantrum and turned her face to meet her new neighbors. "It's very nice to have you here...ummm..."

"Ah, I'm sorry. We haven't introduced ourselves yet. I'm Francesca Cooper," the woman introduced herself. "...and this is my husband, Axel." The man smiled at her. She nodded in acknowledgement.

"I'm Angelica Ventura...this is my husband, Vincent," she introduced herself and the man beside her. "It's very surprising that someone moved into that old house. It's been ages."

"Ah, you see...Axel and I here are working in the business industry. Since we already have our son, Foxy, at that age, we really are busy to attend to him. So we decided, a change of environment will be suitable for him."

"Well, since Mangle is the same age as him, I really think they can be good friends," Mr. Axel Cooper stated.

"Which reminds me, Francesca, Axel, can we ask a favor from your family?"

The two stared at the Cooper couple. "What may this favor be that needs our assistance?"

"You see, we're mostly not home at the time. And you know our child Foxy over there is still growing. Can he perhaps visit your house sometimes? He seems getting along with your daughter."

"Is that so?"

"I believe we can watch over him."

"Thank you so much. I really appreciate this help."

"Then, we'll be going now."

Francesca and Vincent approached their son who was standing with his arms crossed over his chest in front of Mangle. "We'll be going now Foxy. Behave, okay? We'll come to pick you up by 7."

"Seven?! In the evening?!" Foxy complained. "You can't leave me with this pathetic excuse for a child!" he pointed at Mangle. She glared at him.

"Foxy! Show some respect! Be good okay?"