Back Stabbers

Dane had been chilling next to a lamp post just out of view of Miss Moore's watchful eye- bunking off school as usual. Catching sight of Candace, he hid playfully behind an overgrown bush and crouched in their like a tiger, his gleaming amber eyes watching her every move through a tiny hole in the bush.

Candace caught him and simply stood and watched superiorly, as Dane clambered out, pulling out the odd  twig here and there from his Afro-Carribean hairstyle, which he took pride over each morning. Never cutting it, it was at least half a metre high, and, even though no-one would admit it for ego and popularity reasons, his hair was by far the most impressive in the whole year.

His trainers were scuffed even more than usual and his chocolate skin was speckled with seedlings which never had got their chance to grow into sprightly trees (not that trees could move) before they was tossed on the ground with a couple of fellow acorns.

''Caught me did'jda?'' Dane swaggered in his usual unproper way. But everyone loved it. Whenever they heard the ''Wassup dude?'' or the playful, ''Let's kick some ass!'' they knew that Dane wasn't far behind, even if it was tiny inch of afro...he was there to be sure.

Candy ruffled his afro half-heartedly but she sighed loudly to catch his attention.

''Ahhh blondie...wassup?'' he did his usual funky chicken/ Robert the Geek in a hope to make her laugh. Candy tried not to look at the hilarious sight of a random afro bobbing up and down in the air like a bouncy ball and simply crossed her arms and gave her friends the evil eye as they walked past the fence in a tight-knit group of friendship.

She longed to join them but Dane had now hold of her hand and was watching her with forced concern. Sympathy wasn't his strong point and, however much he tried, he burst into laughter.

Candy glared.

''No, no, no! I'ma sorry, it's just yo' face- it's classic!'' he grinned again, showing a big baring of white teeth in a clashing comparison to his dark skin...which looked wonderful to Candace. She was against racism and his dark skin was beautiful...dark and interesting in comparison to her ex BFF's boring paleness, with got flushed with berry red when she got over exhausted. White OR black...you were gorgeous. There came her rare words of wisdom!

She stalked off. Dane wasn't going to be any help.

''Oh no man! C'mon gimme a break, ennit? Look I'ma listening now!'' But Candy didn't look back with the pride of an exotic bird...she was annoyed and seriously peed off.

''C'mom man!'' Dane swaggered over again and grinned an irresistable smile. Candace allowed herself to be pulled from her where her two feet were standing and now she was being lifted right back to the bush. Dane had sat down, eyes wide and he demanded to know what was going on.

''My friends are acting like totally back-stabbers- after I left the toilets I could just hear little 'Frankiieeee' saying 'that's candy wandy for you!' Just because I didn't want to say what was wrong. They keep asking me what's wrong! Why did they ask me whats's wrong!'' she exclaimed, using the word 'wrong' again and again, just to emphasise her point.

By now, Dane felt so confused his eyes boggled. Why would anyone be annoyed because someone asked them what is wrong? Yet he didn't ask and just nodded like he understood. Which he didn't! He tried not to show it, yet he was showing all his tell-tale signs. He nodded too much, he grinned too much and he stuttered too much when speaking.

''Well, there you go. That's why I'm in a mood.''

Dane was just about to ask 'why did you storm out the bathroom' but Candace had already walked off in unusual haste...