Statistics - 1

ANOREXIA NERVOSA STATISTICS

• Anorexia is the third most common chronic illness among adolescents.

• The mortality rate associated with Anorexia Nervosa is 12 times higher than the death rate associated with all causes of death for females 15-24 years old.

• An estimated 0.5 to 3.7 percent of women suffer from Anorexia Nervosa in their lifetime.

• Research suggests that about 1 percent of female adolescents have Anorexia.

• The crude mortality rate for Anorexia Nervosa is 4%. It is thought to have the highest mortality rate of any psychiatric disorder.

• 20% of people suffering from Anorexia will prematurely die from complications related to their Eating Disorder, including suicide and heart problems.

• For females between fifteen to twenty-four years old who suffer from Anorexia Nervosa, the mortality rate associated with the illness is twelve times higher than the death rate of all other causes of death.

• Prevalence rates in Western countries for Anorexia Nervosa ranged from 0.1% to 5.7% in female subjects.

BULIMIA NERVOSA STATISTICS

• 25% of college-aged women engage in bingeing and purging as a weight-management technique.

• An estimated 1.1 to 4.2 percent of women have Bulimia Nervosa in their lifetime.

• About 50 percent of people who have had Anorexia develop Bulimia or Bulimic patterns.

• The crude mortality rate for Bulimia Nervosa is 3.9%.

• Prevalence rates for Bulimia Nervosa ranged from 0% to 2.1% in males and from 0.3% to 7.3% in female subjects.

EATING DISORDERS & THE MEDIA

• The body type portrayed in advertising as the ideal is possessed naturally by only 5% of American females.

• 47% of girls in 5th-12th grade reported wanting to lose weight because of magazine pictures.

• 69% of girls in 5th-12th grade reported that magazine pictures influenced their idea of a perfect body shape.

• The average American woman is 5'4" tall and weighs 165 pounds. The average Miss America winner is 5'7" and weighs 121 pounds.The average BMI of Miss America winners has decreased from around 22 in the 1920s to 16.9 in the 2000s. The World Health Organization classifies a normal BMI as falling between 18.5 and 24.9.

• 70% of survey participants believe encouraging the media and advertisers to use more average sized people in their advertising campaigns would reduce or prevent eating disorders.

FEMALE EATING DISORDER STATISTICS

• In a survey of 185 female students on a college campus, 58% felt pressure to be a certain weight, and of the 83% that dieted for weight loss, 44% were of normal weight.

• 91% of women surveyed on a college campus had attempted to control their weight through dieting. 22% dieted "often" or "always."

• Women are much more likely than men to develop an eating disorder. Only an estimated 5 to 15 percent of people with Anorexia or Bulimia are male.

• 42% of 1st-3rd grade girls want to be thinner.

• Girls who diet frequently are 12 times as likely to binge as girls who don't diet

• Of American elementary school girls who read magazines, 69% say that the pictures influence their concept of the ideal body shape. 47% say the pictures make them want to lose weight.

ATHLETES & EATING DISORDERS

• In judged sports- sports that score participants- the prevalence of Eating Disorders is 13% (compared with 3% in refereed sports).

• Significantly higher rates of Eating Disorders found in elite athletes (20%), than in a female control group (9%).

• Female athletes in aesthetic sports (e.g. gynmastics, ballet, figure skating) are found to be at the highest risk for Eating Disorders.

MALE EATING DISORDER STATISTICS

• An estimated 10-15% of people with Anorexia or Bulimia are male.

• Men are at least 30% less likely (than women) to seek treatment for eating disorders because of the perception that they are "woman's diseases."

• Among gay men, nearly 14% appeared to suffer from Bulimia and over 20% appeared to be Anorexic.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Please remember that some of these statistics will have been updated since they were recorded, and that some may contradict each other where several studies were done on the same subject.

This is the first part of the Statistics chapter, and I will continue to post new parts of it once I find more statistics.