The Difference Between Bulimia and B.E.D.

Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.) and Bulimia Nervosa are two completely different eating disorders. A lot of people tend to mix up the two, so I'll explain the differences. I'll begin by talking about each, despite there already being articles about each.

Bulimia Nervosa is when an individual will binge eat, then follow it up with behaviors to prevent their weight gain. Such as; purging, fasting, excessive exercise, etc. Sufferers are constantly battling between the urge to not eat and be thin, and the overwhelming compulsion to binge eat.

It is common for sufferers to try and cover up binging. If they were to eat an entire bag of chips, they may replace it so no one notices it being gone. If shopping for a binge, some may even go to the extent of shopping at several different markets so no one suspects.

It is also common for sufferers to cover up their purging habits. Some may turn on the water while purging, to mask over the sounds of vomiting.

Signs and symptoms of purging may include; going to the bathroom immediately after eating, the use of laxatives, scent of vomit in the bathroom or on the person, and excessive exercising.

Physical signs and symptoms may include; calluses or scars on hands and knuckles due to purging, puffy cheeks from vomiting constantly, discoloration in the teeth from exposure to stomach acid, and frequent fluctuations in weight.

What puts sufferers of bulimia at risk for possible death is dehydration- caused by their constant purging. Laxatives and vomiting may also cause a drop in potassium level. Low potassium levels may result in kidney failure.

Binge Eating Disorder (B.E.D.) is when an individual will have episodes where they uncontrollably binge eat. They will eat large quantities of food, and do nothing to prevent weight gain on a regular basis.

During a binge, it is possible to be eating so fast that an individual won't even taste the food being eaten. It's common for people who suffer from B.E.D. to eat even when they don't feel hungry, or continue a binge long past the point of being full.

Eating constantly can cause weight gain, which can make the sufferer feel worse about their appearance. It can turn into a vicious cycle; binge eat to feel better, feel even worse, then turn back to food for comfort.

It can be tough for family and friends to realize someone has B.E.D. as it is common for people with this disorder to feel ashamed of their eating habits, and eat in secret. You can't identify if someone has B.E.D. by appearance, as some may be overweight but others could be average.

Society's push for people to be thin can make people suffering from B.E.D. feel even worse about themselves, which may fuel emotional eating. Parents who feed their children unhealthy foods as rewards, comfort, or even to dismiss may be setting a path for their child to binge as they grow older.

Depression and binge eating can be strongly linked together. Many binge eaters are either depressed or have been before, and others may struggle to control their feelings. Not being satisfied with your appearance, loneliness, and low self-esteem can all be tied to binge eating.

Similarities and Differences
There are several differences between the two eating disorders, but the most notable one would be the effect of bulimia which consists of the inclusion of the attempt to get rid if any gained weight after bingeing.

Both disorders include the process of binge eating, and a decrease in self-esteem. Yet B.E.D. sufferers would not do anything to prevent themselves of gaining weight after a binge, which may cause more effect to the physical appearance over bulimia.

Shared behavioral symptoms include; losing control whilst bingeing, rapidly consuming large quantities of food, eating even when not hungry, and eating in secret.

Shared emotional symptoms include; decrease in self-esteem, feeling numb during a binge, and feeling disgusted or depressed after a binge.

However, due to the use of laxatives and other pills in addition to constant vomiting, bulimia is more life-threatening than B.E.D. They are both still bad, but bulimia could result in kidney failure or even death of dehydration, due to the damage caused to the esophagus and stomach acids by purging.

Article written by: Razor_Midnight