The Recovery

Muffled voices was all I heard when I woke up. My vision was blurry at first, but then I started to fully gain my senses. I leaned up, seeing all the guys, including Bre and Andy. "I'm not dead yet, am I?" I said, softly laughing. That made all the guys chuckle, but I noticed most of them were close to tears. "Guys, I'm alright, look." I tried to get up but there was this intense pain in my side. Aleks got up quickly and came by my side. "Calm down dude, it will take a little while before that happens," Aleks said. I layed back down, frustrated."So how long was I asleep?" I asked with curiosity. "About three weeks," Bre said. I looked down, wondering how I was out that long."Who was the stocky guy in the building?" I asked. "They identified him as Macarov, I think, some Russian name. He actually survived in the hospital for a few days, but they didn't find a way to fix the internal bleeding, so it didn't last long." Aleks looked at everyone, then back at me. "We are just glad you are alive man." I felt very happy that I was alive too. "Sorry if I scared the shit out of you guys, I am fine now though," I said. "We all thought you... when you got shot..." Aleks said. "I know man. So what happened after I blacked out?" I was wondering if the whole story was told to the paramedics and police. Aleks started to recall, "When you got shot, we called the cops and drug everything outside, so it didn't look like we were trespassing. Vik knocked the fat dude out, and they took him into custody. Apparently he was the right hand man of the guy you killed, who was involved in alot of drug trafficing, identity theft, shit like that." I thought for a minute. "Well damn. Does this mean his associates or someone will come for me?" Aleks looked towards the door, and then back. "They want to put you and your family in custody for a while, and then try to transfer you to witness protection," Aleks said seriously. We sat in silence for a few moments. Right then, my mom bursted into the room, rushed to me and gave the tightest hug I have ever gotten. She looked at me and said, "Thank god, Drew! I thought you were dead!" She then looked at my friends with hatred in her eyes. "Get out," was all she said. I stopped them and told my mom that it wasn't their fault. She didn't beleive me, and wouldn't take no for an answer. I was given hugs and fist bumps by everyone as they left, but I didn't really want to see them go. I tried to explain to my mom how I would probably be dead if it weren't for them. She didn't argue, but I doubt that she agreed. I think she just wanted to spend time with me alone. After the day I woke up, it took awhile, but the recovery process went really well. Eventually, I almost completely forgot about what happened. Every once in a while, though, I would start to think about how it happened, or why it might have happened, and I knew, I just knew, that they were still out there. Every time I thought about it, I had to fight the erge to go out and find them.