7. Memoria Anulum

I saw flashes through my eyes.

People screaming, and somebody pulling me into their arms. I could feel two sets of hands at my arms, as if trying to drag themselves to me. Then there was the uncomfortable feeling in my stomach, as if I was going through a small pipe. Then the shouts, then the soothing coolness on my arm... Then darkness.

I slowly fluttered my eyelids open, seeing a high stone ceiling. Candle lights were giving pinpricks of light above my head. My eyes felt heavy, as if I had just had a hangover. I had never been drunk before, but I'm sure the pounding in my head would be rather similar.

Slowly, I sat up, all of my limbs aching. I came to the swift conclusion that I was in a hospital of some sort. The ward was empty. There were high windows at the end of the ward, looking out onto a large field of some sort. There were large hoops, and huge stands high above.

Where was this place?

It must have been early morning, as the brand new sun was just peeking its head onto the horizon, like a small child.

Throwing my bed cover from over my body, I swung my legs around to dangle them from the side of the bed. I was barefoot, a pair of boots waiting for me.

A small backpack was there as well, which I assumed was mine. I looked down, to see I was dressed in a pair of jeans that were ripped at the knee and a band t-shirt. A leather jacket was over the side of the bed.

I slipped the boots onto my feet, and went to pick up my jacket. Then I saw it. I had a bandage over my left wrist. It was thickly knotted, but I could make out a scar, that throbbed when I pressed a finger to it. 

It was the shape of a lightning bolt.

As I stared at the strange shaped scar, I heard the murmur of voices from inside a small office at the end of the hospital wing. Panicking, I looked around for something to defend myself with.

Unlike a usual hospital wing, there seemed to be no scalpels or needles that would be great weapons. There only seemed to be potions of some sort.

I could hear the door start to creak open.

I knelt down by my bed, a potion bottle in my hand. I clenched my hands into fists, over two cuts that I had seemed to have gathered.

My heart was beating furiously. There were footsteps, and a gasp from one person.

"Where is she?" A woman whispered, sounding shocked.

"I'm sure that she isn't far." A deeper, male voice spoke.

I peered up slowly, to see an elderly couple turning away from me. Now. I jumped up, and smashed the potion bottle over the man's head. Purple liquid ran down his long white hair, and he slowly turned around.

He had long snow-white hair, and twinkling blue eyes. His nose was crooked over a pair of moon rimmed glasses. He was dressed in a long gown, that reached the floor. He didn't look surprised that I threw a potion at his head, instead, he looked quite sad.

The woman must have been a nurse. She was dressed in a white apron over a dress, and looked at me with sad eyes.

"Aurora, it is okay." The man urged. 

I threw my rucksack in front of me, as a defensive barrier against the two of them. "I don't even know who you are!"

I delved into my back, and found a long stick. A better weapon that a potion. It could do serious damage. I pointed it towards him, my hand shaking.

"Aurora, do you know what that is?" The man spoke again.

"A stick." I answered. "Stop treating me like a child!"