19. Things are looking up

For a brief moment when I woke up, I was completely at peace. Then like a tidal wave, everything from last night tumbled over me. Champion... The awful things I said to Gennie... I sat straight up, to see Gennie pulling on her shoes.

Her eyes were puffy and red. "Gennie," I croaked.

She ignored me. Understandable. "Gennie, I'm sorry."

She wouldn't look at me. "Gennie, please look at me. I'm sorry."

Gennie finally turned to me, her face screwed up. "What, you want to apologise? You certainly knew what you were saying last night!" She hissed. 

"Gennie, I'm really sorry--"

"Don't give it to me, Aurora." Gennie said sharply. "You know, I've put up with a lot, especially when your brother is concerned. I thought you were the only person who understood. But I was wrong. You know what? Why am I explaining this to you? For once, I'm not in the wrong!"

And with that, she walked off, and I was left alone. I looked around the dormitory.The other girls had gone. I was completely alone. I just wanted to stay in here forever. Never have to face anybody.

But like Gennie said, I couldn't hide from my mistakes. I had made a hell of a lot, and being cruel to Gennie was one of them. I was going to have to face my fears and get up.

 Slowly, I dressed, and wandered down into the castle. Strangely, everyone was giving me pitying looks. Why were they staring at me like that? Frowning, I decided to sit down by a suit of armour, not wanting to go down to breakfast.

"Hey! Aurora!" It was Cedric Diggory. I looked up, and he was in front of me. "You alright, after yesterday?"

He helped me to my feet. I sighed. "Well I don't want to be champion in the first place. And I had a really awful argument with my best friend... I said some things that shouldn't have been said... And everybody's looking at me as if I've lost somebody..."

Cedric looked at me sheepishly. "Well, er, I might know something about that..."

"What?" I said, narrowing my eyes.

"Well loads of the Hufflepuffs were ranting about you and Harry last night... So I told them that you didn't want no part of this, and you were crying... So er, you may have some people looking at you like a lost puppy."

"Gee, thanks, Cedric." I said sarcastically. His face fell. I rubbed at my face tiredly. "I'm sorry, I really am grateful. I'm just in a self-loathing place right now."

Cedric rubbed at his head awkwardly. "Look, I don't really know you, Aurora--"

"It's Rory," I corrected.

"Rory, I don't really know you. And I get that you aren't exactly in a great place right now. But I'm telling you, things will get better. I mean, I heard from Arthur Wilde that you made a patronus last year... I can't even make one! I'm sure you'll do great."

I smiled at him. "Thank you, Cedric. Honestly. Really, thank you. I kinda needed a boost of self-esteem."

Cedric tipped his head to the side. "Come on Rory, you look like you need a hug."

 Apprehensively, I allowed Cedric to give me a hug. And surprisingly, I did feel a bit better. He was warm, and as he was taller than me, I felt like I was being protected in a warm cocoon. "Rory!"

I pulled away from Cedric, to see Hermione coming over to me. "Oh hello, Hermione." I said quietly. "You've met Cedric before, right?"

Hermione nodded. "Congratulations, Cedric."