8. The Explanation

Much to my dismay, Dumbledore requested that I didn't leave right away. I protested, but he reminded me that my belongings needed to be collected from Oxford, and I did need some sleep.

Reluctantly, I had got about three hours of sleep, and as the hospital wing clock stroke eight, I decided that I couldn't wait any longer to see Gennie, the Weasley's and Harry.

"Are you sure you want to leave now?" Dumbledore said warily, as he led me to his office. I was going to use floo powder to get to the Burrow, which was the name of the Weasley home. I was going to meet with Molly Weasley, and get some breakfast before everybody else returned.

"Yes, Professor." I said firmly, fiddling with the straps of my rucksack. My belongings and cat Minnie had been sent to the Burrow, so I just had my rucksack and myself to take along now. "I need to see them all. Harry's probably going out of his mind, anyways."

Dumbledore smiled warmly at me. "I'm sure he is. Now, are you clear of how to use Floo powder?"

I nodded. "I have to get a handful of the floo powder, and step into the fire. I have to speak clearly, and drop the powder at my feet. I have to keep my elbows tucked in, so I don't go through the wrong grate."

Dumbledore looked impressed. "You catch on quickly, just like your Mother. Ahh, here we are. Fizzing Whizzbees."

A gargoyle sprang open, and we walked silently up stairs to the office. Dumbledore pushed a door open, that lead into a very large room.

It was a large and beautiful circular room, full of funny little noises. A number of curious silver instruments stood on spindle legged tables, whirring and emitting little puffs of smoke. The walls were covered with portraits of old headmasters and headmistresses, all of whom were snoozing gently in their frames. There was also an enormous, claw-footed desk, and, sitting on a shelf behind it, a shabby, tattered wizard's hat - the Sorting Hat.

"So that's where you keep it," I said, looking at it with interest.

"Yes, I believe he is coming up with the next yearly song. It would be best if you don't disturb him." Dumbledore said, and he walked over to a perch, where a marvelous bird sat.

It was ruby red, with a golden plume and a tail the size of a peacock's. I hesitantly stroked it. "Is that a phoenix, sir?" I questioned.

Dumbledore nodded. "Fawkes is, yes. He saved your brother's life in the chamber of secrets. I'm sure young Genesis told you that story."

"She did, yes." I said softly. "Am I allowed to go now?"

Dumbledore smiled, and took a pot of floo powder from the top of the fire grate. "Are you ready, Aurora?"

"Why do you call me that?" I asked curiously. "Everybody else calls me Rory."

Dumbledore smiled a small smile. "It is who you truly are. You are Aurora Potter. Not Rory Oswin."

I squirmed a bit at that, and picked a handful of floo powder from the pot. I ducked under the fire grate, and stood up tall. 

"Thank you, Sir." I said quietly. "I can't thank you enough."

"You can thank me by not loosing anymore memories." Dumbledore said kindly. "Have a good time at the Weasley's. I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing them."

"I will." I said truthfully. "The Burrow!"

I dropped the dust to my feet. Dumbledore was fading away, and so was Fawkes....

I felt as though I was being sucked down a giant drain. I was spinning very fast - the roaring in my ears was deafening - I tried to keep my eyes open but the whirl of green flames made me feel sick -something hard knocked my elbow and I tucked it in tightly, still spinning and spinning - now it felt as though cold hands were slapping my face hardly - squinting I saw a blurred stream of fireplaces and snatched glimpses of the rooms beyond - my empty stomach was churning- I closed my eyes again wishing it would stop, and then...