THREE

He had the nerve to laugh at me. The horse was slow now, at a trot. I gripped his waist tightly. He was causing the horse to rear on purpose, pulling back on the reins as they bit cut painfully into the corners of the horse's mouth.

"Stop the horse."

"No."

"Let me down."

"No."

"I'll jump off."

"Go ahead."

He whipped the reins as the horse fell back on all fours, urging her forward. She began to gallop.

"Enjoying yourself?" he yelled over the wind beating in our faces.

"You just wait," I growled. "Wait until we come to a stop, I'm going to destroy you."

After what seemed like an eternity, he slowed the horse to a stop and slid off the saddle.

"Get down," he said as he rolled his eyes. "You're so childish. Afraid of a horse." He reached out to help me down.

"It's not the horse, and you know that," I said coolly, ignoring his outstretched hand, and hopped off by myself. Putting weight on my legs made it difficult to walk as jolts of pain ran up my spine.

"You're afraid of falling. Not heights, but falling. How does that make sense?" He smirked.

"As much sense as not brushing your hair in the morning makes," I retorted smoothly, turning painfully on my heel, but having enough strength to keep my dignity and not show a limp.

He laughed behind me. "How are you going to get back in time?" he said, grabbing my elbow and turning me to face him. I stared into his golden eyes for a second, frowning at the smirk on his face, and then yanked it away.

"By walking." I paused. "Wait a moment—in time for what, exactly?"

"Father is having a royal feast with the King Adrean of Dystalphi. Most of the guards will be with him, making it easier for you to reach the duke."

"But won't the duke be with the king?"

"Ah, true," he nodded, "but only the highest royals have been invited. That only includes the king, queen, and their daughter," he explained.

"So he actually thought this one through," I muttered under my breath, and he raised his eyebrows.

"Excuse me?"

A blush crept up my cheeks. He wasn't supposed to hear that.

"You're red again," Xavier grinned. "Do I have that much of an effect on you?"

"Xavier. . ." I warned. I turned my attention away from him for a moment. Usually, I did most of the king's planning. This time he managed to do a pretty good job by himself. "But if the duke just dies mysteriously, won't King Adrean suspect that something's going on?"

"No, because he doesn't know you exist. And oh, change of plans, you're going after him today."

"I guessed that part." Plans changed all the time. There was one important rule royalty always went by—it was to never stay in one place for more than a day. That way, it made them harder to track.

"So, are you going back with me?" he asked, grinning. I really had no choice. "It's alright. You can sit in the front if it makes you comfortable. I'll hold you from the back."

I rolled my eyes, wondering when I'd get rid of this nuisance.

That night, I prepared myself.

I strapped my belt and slipped on my boots with the hidden pockets for weapons. My dark hair was bound in a braid down my back.