SIX

Lorelle dabbed at the wound on my back.

"Why would you fight Prince Xavier in the first place?" she asked, her delicate hands using a starch white towel to staunch the bleeding. I winced.

"He challenged me," I mumbled.

"I wouldn't fight him even if he paid me a million gold coins," she giggled.

"No, I'm sure you would." I straightened my back and yawned.

"That's true," she nodded, "I definitely would. But still. Isn't he the most skilled fighter in Astodia?" Lorelle set the scarlet stained cloth aside and picked up a roll of bandages.

"Not as skilled as I am. It's just that people don't know I exist. That's why he's at the top at the moment," I said gruffly as she wrapped the bandages carefully around me.

"Stitches?"

"I need this wound shut."

"Stitches it is." She disappeared for a few seconds, ordering a few maids around and then came back in, hiding it behind her back. "Don't be intimidated by the needle."

I rolled my eyes. As the needle poked through my skin, I breathed out evenly.

"So," Lorelle said, trying to make conversation and take my mind off the pricking, "If you don't mind me prying, why do you have such a rivalry with the prince?"

"I do mind you asking, actually," I said, resting my chin on my fist, my legs crossed and my back bent over, the sheets balled up in my fist against my chest to cover myself.

"If I were in your place," she continued, as I felt another painful pinch and the feeling of the thread being pulled, "I would feel lucky. He actually talks to you. I doubt any of us girls would ever be able to dance with him in a ball, according to our statuses," she sighed dreamily.

"But you're not in my spot and you should be very, very happy about it," I retorted. She waved the comment aside like it was a pesky gnat.

Lorelle giggled. "One day our wishes will come true too. After all, we're humans, even if we work for other humans. We'll all get our prince one day, even if he's just a small servant boy. It matters what's in your heart."

I stayed quiet, her words echoing in my head. I never gave a second thought to the workers around the castle, their lives, what they did, what they received and how much they gave. I never really cared. It was none of my business.

Not that I paid a lot of attention or that it mattered to someone like me, but I did realize something from Lorelle's words. No matter how low they were treated, how ignored they were, they had friends. They cared about each other. They all had someone to back them up.

"Is that so?" I raised my eyebrows. "Well I hope you find your prince. But I'm never going to find my prince, nor will he ever come looking for me. I don't need one," I responded curtly, rubbing my eyes as the needle went through again, making tiny holes through my skin and guiding the thread.

"Never say never," she said, a smile in her voice as usual. "Like I said, everyone has a prince. Yours is probably waiting for you to rescue him, instead of him looking for you."

I pretended not to hear that.

"Done," she said, gently dabbing at my back. "Just rest, please. I'll go check on Prince Xavier," she smiled and I groaned, falling backwards on my bed as lightly as I could. "Careful," she warned.

"Tell him to stay away from me," I said, closing my eyes and rolling myself in layers of sheets.

"Will do, m'lady," she bowed.