ELEVEN

I woke with a crick in my neck. I'd been sleeping in a very uncomfortable position. I sat up, yawning and stretching my arms, and looked down to find I hadn't changed last night.

I'd probably fallen asleep on the floor, and Lance had carried me to my bed. The thought of being carried suddenly struck me very oddly. I imagined him, and found myself grinning. What a sight. I was surprised he hadn't dropped me or smacked my head against the wall or something.

I swung my legs over the side of the bed and ran a hand through my hair, blinking and rubbing my eyes. Then I made my way to the wardrobe and changed into another outfit, definitely not a dress, and washed up. Bruises were visible across my cheeks, so I let my dark hair down.

Everyone was sitting around the breakfast tables and I slowly walked in, fingering the end of one of my sleeves nervously. I sat on a table that was partly empty, consisting of only three people. There were two boys I recognized as Darren and Aland, and the girl who I usually saw hanging out with them: Charlotte. Her hair was a flaming red. I admired it because it wasn't exactly natural, she'd dyed it the color it was. But it matched her small pale face and green eyes perfectly.

Darren was the blond with blue eyes. Aland, on the other hand, had darker hair and chocolaty eyes. Charlotte looked close to my age, but Aland and Darren appeared older.

As I sat, they stopped talking immediately, taking in my appearance. Darren was the first to speak.

"What's happened to your face?"

"Darren!" Charlotte scolded. "You shouldn't ask those kind of questions."

"It's alright," I offered a smile. "I got into a small fight."

Aland whistled. "A fight? Impressive."

Charlotte rolled her eyes. "You're the new girl who's with Lance a lot! The brave one that spoke up at the meeting?"

"Who's Lancelot?" Darren whispered, and Aland elbowed him.

"That's me," I nodded, slightly annoyed to be known as 'the girl who's with Lance a lot'. A few girls and a boy walked into the room carrying plates and dishes.

"We'll I'm Charlotte, this is Aland, and—"

"I'm hungry," Darren said, leaning back in his chair to stretch. Aland took the opportunity to punch him in the stomach and Darren doubled over as Charlotte giggled.

"Nice to meet you, Hungry," I cracked a smile. "I'm Kristina."

"Pleasure," he croaked. From the looks of it, they were close friends.

Charlotte scooted closer to me. "Ignore them." She grinned as plates were set in front of us.

"We're just waiting for Lance. He'll be late today. Special business to attend," Aland rolled his eyes, getting hit in the back of the head with a spoon that belonged to Darren. "He's so favored out of everyone."

"I am not," a voice said from behind me. The hairs stood up on the back of my neck. Suddenly, for no good reason, I felt cramped and uncomfortable. "Stop making up rubbish." Lance took the seat besides Charlotte, directly in front of me, his green eyes boring into mine. "Have you finished with the book yet?"

I snorted, beginning to feel really hot. It was a strange feeling. "I'm never going to finish it. I might as well tell Esmeralda I don't want the job."

Lance grinned. "Fine, I'll do just that. At least now I'll have peace and quiet down there."

I kicked his shin under the table and he cringed, but the teasing smile on his face never left.