The White House- Chapter 12

oh, there are a few swear words in this chapter, so if it's not your thing don't read it...

Enjoy x

Chapter 12

Muttering to myself, I grudgingly cleared all the makeup and jewellery off the sink into my bag. I was beyond furious at Kasper. He had another thing coming if he thought he could talk to me like that and get away with it.

“Patience, calm down,” Tom sighed, coming up behind me and taking hold of my shoulders. “Just forget what he said to you. I understand that you don’t like being told what to do, but the guy has grown up with the world at his feet. What do you expect?”

Gritting my teeth, I looked Tom directly in the eye, “I don’t care if he grew up expecting everyone to do as he said. I am not everyone.”

“No,” Tom said, reaching out and pulling at a brown curl, “You’re not.”

I gulped at his sudden intensity and looked away avoiding his eye contact. I knew where this was heading and I couldn’t deal with it. I had a job to do and my job meant that I could have nothing to do with Tom. If only things where different then maybe I could look at him differently, but in the meantime things had to stay professional and above board.

Tom, noticing my hesitation, took a step back and ran a hand through his hair, muttering something soundlessly under his breath.

Scrunching up my forehead, I weaved around his body back to my bed and gathered the clothes that had formed into a pile around the sheets and stuffed them into my suitcase. Who knew you could make so much mess in twenty-four hours?

When I was finished packing up my belongings I sat back down on my bed and waited for Kasper to show. Twitching my fingers, the silence dragged on. Tom had spread himself across his bed, his arms folded behind his head and I watched the rising and falling of his chest to pass time.

Looking at my watch I felt the rage well up in my body, threatening to erupt like a volcano. It had been over and hour and a half since he called me and he was still a no show. I wouldn’t be surprised if I punched him upon site when he emerged at Tom’s dorm. Not only did he demand me to be ready, but he also failed to show up at his own arrangement.

When there was a sharp knock on the door an hour later, I took in a quick gulp of breath. I could feel my stomach notch up in trepidation as I thought about facing Kasper. I may come across as strong, but something about that boy got under my skin like the dirt that gets under your nails.

Tom made the first movements to the door, shuffling to the handle and slowly swinging it open.

“She here?” said an all too familiar voice.

“Yeah, she is,” only Tom made no conscious effort to move his hand from across the door frame.

I could hear the shuffling of feet from where I sat, scrunching the covers up in my hands. Why did this feel like a massive confrontation? It felt like world war three had started, and I was putting Tom on the firing line.

“Can I come past?” Kasper’s voice demanded, as he tried to get around Tom.

“Look…” Tom began.

“Hang on a sec,” I interrupted, realising that I didn’t want Tom to be Kasper’s enemy. Tom was the only friend I had in this place and if I was to keep my sanity then I would need Tom to be there for me. Selfish, I know, but I needed him. He was fast becoming the one stable thing in my life, and I was not about to relinquish it because of a petty argument.