I've Been Hiding

I've Been Hiding

Request for BetterLeftAlone

A/N: Request was modified. You asked that the reader was in the open but not noticed, and I didn't read that again until after I made her an agent. I don't think it's a big detail though.

"Can you do one with Bruce (because I don't see a lot) and the reader have a secret relationship because Shield is always up people's ass and he doesn't want the reader being kidnapped as leverage to get to him so they keep it on the down low."

You were grateful for your job at SHIELD, even if all you did was fetch coffee and lunch orders and mop the floors. The agents insisted that you were important (they would all crumble to the floor without your caffeine runs), and you had gotten to meet so many amazing people (namely the Avengers) that you didn't mind the janitorial work that came with the job.

You liked to think that you had become friends with the guys. You learned early on that Tony Stark liked to party, and he liked to make other people party with him. He never left anyone out when it came to the guest list, making sure to extend an invitation to even you. You were in shock at first, wondering if it was a cruel joke or a mistaken typo. You asked around and everyone you spoke to told you that the billionaire loved to party and that the invitation was completely sincere. So you hesitantly attended in a casual party dress, not at all ready for the attention that you received.

You attached to Bruce the most. He was quiet and reserved, which was a nice break from the loud bundle of energy that was Tony Stark. Steve was kind, but you felt like nothing you said to him sounded good. Natasha was intimidating, Clint was much more outgoing than you were, and you didn't understand half of what Thor talked about. So you tried to stay close to Bruce, who didn't seem to mind the company – that, or he was just way too polite.

After the first party, Bruce asked if he'd see you again. You explained your position as SHIELD's errand dog, quickly insisting that he didn't need to feel bad for you. It was a job, and it came with so many opportunities. He had shyly asked for your number, which you eagerly gave him.

You didn't miss a single party after that, unless you had a conflicting schedule or Bruce told you he wouldn't make it. You were much less interesting in going when he wasn't going to be there.

After a few weeks of innocent (constant) texting, you and Bruce began meeting for lunch or coffee. You felt yourself falling for the doctor, but you kept things as innocent as you could. You didn't know how he felt, and you didn't want to push it too far.

Your coffee and lunch dates began happening more often, increasing from a couple times a month to at least once a week. You certainly weren't going to complain. You very much enjoyed spending time with the shy doctor, and you liked to think that he felt the same.

It was during one of your lunch meetings that he decided to bump it up a notch. He was growing attached to you, and he had to do something about it before he lost his chance. He asked you to meet him at your favorite diner, where he reserved a table away from the crowd. He knew you were anxious around people you didn't know.

Halfway through lunch, Bruce reached across the table and gently took your hand in his. It wasn't an unusual gesture – the two of you had grown accustomed to comforting one another, so hand holding and long hugs were the norm. But you could tell there was something different in his body language today.

"Are you alright?" you asked softly, worried that there was something negative in his head.

He smiled, which calmed your nerves slightly. "I've just been thinking. I really like you, (y/n). I look forward to every text, every call, every date. I just want it to mean more." He took in a breath, gazing into your eyes. "I wanted to ask... Will you be my girlfriend?"