prologue

Sadiq

I knew that I was drunk, not too drunk to not know my left from my right but I was drunk. I was a shitty drinker, and a few glasses of alcohol was enough to make me tipsy. The fact that the lady I was with at the club, was even drunker than I was, was not helping matters at all. So it was either I called a designated driver to drive us safely to a hotel, or I drive us to our hell, and I sure wasn't ready for the latter.

I fumbled with my pocket until i took out my phone and called the designated driver.

''uh, can you carry me my prince, I don't feel like walking,'
. Oh shoot! I didn't even know her name, yet I knew I was going to wake up with her beside me the next morning.

If it wasn't for the fact that the lady was so damn gorgeous, I would have dumped her at the club. Her beautiful face and body outshines her stupidity

''come on let's go,'' I said as I dragged her out of the club. We were just about to get into the car, when my phone rang for the hundredth time that night, and it was Aaliyah, my wife again. I pressed the reject button immediately. She should be used to it already, I go out every night and she calls almost every time. It was getting old, I swear. I mean, it wasn't like she fucking cared, so why pretend. I couldn't stand the thought of her yet she somehow found a way to always creep into my mind and the calls were just and annoying reminder that she was still in my life.

I rode at the back of the car with the beauty to the hotel and it was pure hell. In between the ride to the hotel, they were two more calls from my pest of a wife, almost getting nailed by the police, because of the dumb beauty's misbehaviour, and totally getting puked on. It was a disaster. It was as if my wife was cursing me from home, but I had only one goal at that moment and it was to be with the beauty at the end of the night, skin on skin, body and sweat and I did.

Who knew the more drunk they were , the better.

AALIYAH

I looked at the wristwatch on my wrist for the millionth time that night. It was already two am and just like always I couldn't fall asleep. I really didn't know why I bothered, every night. I guess I just couldn't help it. It was the same damn thing every day. He leaves home every morning and doesn't return until after a day, sometimes more, and I'm stuck home alone, worrying over nothing. The worst part of it all was that he never picks my calls, yet it always bothered me. It was because I was stupid

I called his phone again, and before it could even ring, he had rejected it.

''uh evil idiot. Stupid. Stupid,'' 

I have been living with Sadiq for a year now, and it had been nothing but misery for me. We have never slept in the same room before, not even when he was drunk. He rarely even ever ate my food, nor talked me, nor looked at me.

One more miserable year, and I'd be out of the hell I had been living in. I just couldn't wait. I decided to go to sleep eventually, after all he'd be back, in the morning to change his clothes, and leave for work. Except if he had packed some of his clothes, like he had a certain time ago. During that time, he hadn't stepped a foot in the house for almost two weeks. It was almost like I had a contagious disease and he wanted to stay as far away from me as possible. It was alright though because I wasn't crazy about being around him either but somehow something in me needed to know that he was alright.

*****
I woke up around 5:30 am to pray fajr when I heard shuffling sounds and feet movements, I was sure it was Sadiq trying to sneak out of the house without having to speak or see me as usual, but I wasn't going to let him. He's going to get a piece of me whether he likes it or not.

''assalam alaikum'' I said as I stood in front of the door to his room, but there was no answer, I repeated,  there was still no answer, then I began to knock furiously.

''shit, just come in,'' he yelled.

''where were you last night?'' I demanded as soon as I opened the door, putting me hands on my waist, and my most confident act on.

'''when did that become your business?'' he asked with absolutely no emotion showing on his perfectly shaped face, his perfectly chiselled face, his beautiful black and intense eyes. Snap out of it fool , the bold voice in my head said.

He walked pass me and went out of the bedroom and I followed him to the living room.

''I am your wife and I demand an explanation,'' Do I? I glared at him, determined to get an answer. I watched him from behind, and I saw his back stiffen, he turned to face me with an evil smirk on his face.

''wife? Did you just say wife?", he moved closer, "you are not my wife and I'd really like to not pretend in my own house."

I nodded in agreement, fighting off the tears that threatened to spill. You cannot let him see you cry, man up! Woman. ''you're right. It's nothing but pretence, all for the public, as you said, but you should at least pretend well for Gods' sake. Do you know what people say about you though? They call you man whore. Yes a man whore.''

His jaw worked as he was chewing gravel, his eyes flinched, ''I don't care, because...''

I interrupted, ''you don't care but I do. People call me the wife of a man whore. Do you know how I show my face to the world? No because as usual. you.don't.care'' I breathed heavily, as tears freely rolled down my eyes now. He had seen me cry many before so what was one more time or a thousand more times to come?

Sadiq picked up his suitcase and walked out, without a word, and just like that he left me with my pain to bear alone.