Chapter fifteen

SADIQ

‘’what if I never recover?’’ I felt my heartbeat skip as I munched the pounded yam and local vegetable soup Ma had prepared. She said it was good for the memory. If I believed that, I’d eat probably eat it every day until I recover my memory.

‘’Don’t talk with food in your mouth Sadiq,’’ she warned.

‘’Fine. I’m done anyway,’’ I murmured.

‘’Then wash your hands and take the dishes to the kitchen.’’

I couldn’t help but smile because I knew 18 or 50, Ma would always be who she was. I washed my hands and took the dishes to the kitchen, picked up my jacket and shoes before going out.

‘’Ma, I’m going out,’’ I informed Ma who was already seated in the living room watching the only channel she watches since I came, zee world. I remember she used to love watching news, so what happened? I guess some things would definitely change.

‘’wait,’’ she said tuning the TV volume down.

‘’yah. Ma’’

‘’you will’’

‘’what?’’

‘’your memories,’’ she said standing up and coming closer to me, ‘’you’ll recover them and even if you don’t you’ll make newer better ones,’’ she smiled, but behind that smile I saw something else. Something she was trying hard to conceal.

‘’where’s Dad?’’ my voice shaking a little as I asked that question.

She turned away and fixed her gaze on the floor.

‘’Ma, Dad never travels for so long and even if he had travelled, he couldn’t have gone somewhere with no phone service or internet. Ma where’s Dad?’’

‘’Sadiq,’’

‘’Ma,’’ I said placing my hands on her shoulder. Somehow I knew in my heart that something was wrong but I wasn’t ready to accept it yet, ‘’I’ll be back and please I want the truth when I get back.’’

She nodded and I kissed her forehead before walking out the door.

**************
‘’Dad, can I go out? I know its late but I really really need to go’’

‘’Son, you’re a man, not a woman for potato sake. Go, just be back before your mother returns tomorrow morning.’’

**************

I could see flashes of my Dad’s face and his signature wink. His deep voice, I could hear all too clearly. I remembered running downtown, it was the last thing I could remember. I started running to where I remember I was running to twelve years ago. It was our anniversary with Raina, and we agreed to meet at the hut on her father’s farm.

Running didn’t feel the same, I had definitely grown old. I chuckled at the thought. The roads and houses had changed but I could still remember the path to the farm, I wasn’t surprised I had been to the farm more than I could ever count. Raina, where was she now? I had to wonder. Was she happy too? I hoped she was.

I reached the farm ten minutes later than I would have twelve years ago. The farm was nothing but a bare land now but the hut was still standing, the door was broken and the roof was now half a roof.

As soon as I touched the door knob, I could hear squeals and giggles. I felt dizzy, so I shut my eyes and held to the door knob tighter. I saw shadows of two persons against each other; slowly these shadows became blurry images. Footsteps and more giggling, squeals, laughter, screams and tears. I couldn’t take more, my steps faltered and I fell face flat on the floor.