Unsuccessful Goldfish Murders

Art by @Shimoariku7 This was her take on Shadow and it's amazing!

"Kiera!"

"What?"

Mrs. Yuson gave me a hard look.

"I mean, yes, ma'am?"

"How many electrons does the s orbital have?"

What the heck? "I have no idea, you tell me."

"Miss Knight! Learn some respect!"

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Yuson. I didn't sleep much last night." I faked a cough into my elbow. "Sick."

"That's no excuse to be disrespectful to me. This is your last warning. Next is detention after school for a week."

I sighed. "Yes, ma'am."

Cole smirked at me from across the room and I sent him a glare. Thankfully, no one else seemed to notice. Or care. I don't know why anyone would want the power to be invisible. Being invisible sucks, especially when you mean it metaphorically. I could literally become invisible and the only person that would notice would be Mrs. Yuson. And even she would only care because I wasn't doing my work.

The bell rang. God is sending me a blessing. I jumped up, barely grabbing my notebook between my fingertips before shooting down the hall to lunch. I made a quick pit stop at my locker, throwing in my chemistry books, then tore down the hall like a madwoman. No one really appreciates the term TGIF until they've had a long week and can actually see the weekend.

I felt like I was starving to death and I whirled around the corner to the lunch room. Or at least, I was about to. A vibration against my butt startled me until I realized it was my phone. I pulled it out.

My breath caught in my lungs.

TA.

The Agency was calling me. For the first time in two whole years, they gave a crap. I ducked into the nearest supply closet after making sure no one was looking. With trembling hands, I accepted the call.

"Shadow."

I didn't even get to say "hello" first? "Yes?"

"We have a mission for you."

My heart skipped a beat. A mission? I'd never actually had a mission before . . . "What kind of mission?"

"A dangerous one."

"What mission isn't dangerous? What's the job?"

"We need you to catch Blaze."

I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose between two fingers. Didn't they see that I was trying to do that? "If you haven't noticed, that's kind of been my whole objective the past two years."