Family Game Night Fail

Family game night can go a number of ways. Most of those scenarios end in what I have dubbed "The Three C's".

           Crying.

           Cussing.

           And/or conflict.

           Needless to say, family game night is a night that I dread. I almost ran for the hills when I arrived home that night to hear my mother calling my name. I sighed, then followed the sound of her voice. I found her in the living room with Cole's mom. The women were practically shaking with excitement.

           "Kiera!"

           "Yeah?"

           "What do you think about having a family game night?"

           "I think that is the worst possible idea you could have thought of," I responded honestly.

           "Kiera! That's was rude!"

           "You asked what I thought." Actually, if I had said what I really thought, I'd probably be grounded into the afterlife. "But if we must, I suppose I'll participate."

           "Of course you will! What else do you have to do?"

           "My daily animal sacrificial ritual to Satan."

           My mother's eyes widened and her jaw dropped in horror.

           I rolled my eyes. "I'm kidding."

           "Go get Cole. And that strange child. Has she bathed once since she got here? How much longer will she be here?"

           Frowning, I said, "I don't know. However long her parents need me to watch her."

           My mother huffed in dissatisfaction. "Go get them."

           Would it kill you to at least say "please"? I turned on my heel without actually saying anything. Someday, I wouldn't have the self-control necessary to have a conversation with her and I would end up doing something I would regret. Or maybe I wouldn't regret it. Cole opened the door barely two seconds after I knocked. He grinned down at me. "Hiya."

           "We're having family game night apparently." I crossed my arms over my chest with a scowl. "We all know how this is going to end."

           "Apparently not, if your mom still wants to have it every time she comes home." He rolled his eyes. "I wonder if she legitimately wants to have game nights or if she's just looking for another excuse to leave." He gave me a pitying look, even though he knew that I really didn't care.

           I shrugged. "Don't ask me, I hate these game nights. Is Cameron in her room?"

           "No, she's in here." Cole opened his door wider to let me see Cameron nestled into his beanbag chair and playing a game on his X-Box. Guess she forgave him. "But do you really think Cameron should be joining in on this less-than-memorable occasion?" He raised an eyebrow.

           "Knowing her dark sense of humor, she will find our antics quite amusing. She's playing an appropriate game, right?" I shoved past him into the room.

           Cole chuckled and followed me over. "She's playing Forza. Perfectly appropriate."

           "Only 'cause he wouldn't let me play any GTA," Cameron grumbled, eyes focused on the screen.