Woman Up

I awoke thinking about Cole.

A smile automatically lit up my face.

Get a hold of yourself, Kiera! You're acting too girly. This isn't normal for you. You're right, strange voice in my head. I need to pull myself together. Be cool. My crush just kissed me. Twice. Pshh. Whatever. Happens all the time.

The butterflies in my stomach didn't seem to hear the conversation with myself, because they were still there.

I got ready for school and tried my best not to run down the stairs. Cole was eating breakfast at the table. Leftover French toast. Good idea.

I took some from the fridge and stuck them in the microwave.

"Good morning," Cole said.

I smiled at him to find him doing the same to me. "Morning." I pulled my French toast out and sat at the table, drowning them in syrup. I stared out the clear windows at the morning outside. The sun was still coming up, bathing the morning sky with gold. A hummingbird came to the backdoor to the feeder my dad had put up for me when I was little, back when he had still cared about what I was interested in. I had been so fascinated with them at the time, and I honestly still am. A part of me was still jealous I wasn't blessed with powers to fly.

"You ready?"

I looked up in surprise. "For what?"

He grinned. "I'm taking you to school."

I was silent for a moment. Usually, we would drive separately. He'd stay after for some school sport and during the season, I'd stay there for track and he would go home. We worked on different schedules. Plus, he usually took some friends or a girl to school in the mornings.

I guess today, I was that girl.

That made me upset. What if he just thought of me as another fling? I didn't do flings, or one night stands. "No, thanks."

And just like that, he looked crestfallen. "Why not?"

"I . . . I have to pick up Sienna and Jadah." It was a lie and we both knew it.

"You're lying to me, Kiera. Why are you lying?"

I stood up to put my plate in the sink and Cole followed just behind me. "I'm not lying, Cole."

"Yes you are."

I turned around and that was a big mistake. I came face to chest with him, and his striking blue eyes stared at me intently. "Cole, I—"

"Why are you lying to me?"

He had me trapped in the corner at this point. My heart was pounding and I tried to avoid his stare. "Because."

"Because what?"

I was silent for a moment.

He took my chin and gently tilted it up, forcing me to look at him. "What's wrong?"

"I don't want to be just another girl," I whispered with a gulp. "I will not be." I ripped my chin away and reached for my bag on the chair. I had to get out of here before he changed my mind. I was so stupid. I've tried to stop loving him. I tried to force myself away from him. But then again, I've always wanted him for myself. And now when I have it, I'm finally realizing all the flaws in my logic. Fate is cruel to me. It always has been.

Cole grabbed my outstretched hand. "Listen to me, Kiera."

"No, Cole. I have to get to school." He snatched my other hand too when it reached out and pinned them both to the wall beside my head.