Twenty: Mikey Gets A Message From His Ex

Gee's story is interrupted by the sound of the front door swinging open. We exchange meaningful glances with each other, only keeping eye contact for less than a second to communicate.

"Hey Mikey, want some coffee?" Gerard yells in the direction of the noise.

Mikey's head appears around the corner. Lets just say his hair isn't the neatest thing I've ever seen, even worse than I remember. And is that mud or eyeshadow he's wearing? I can't tell. He nods in regard to the coffee, as I predicted.

"I'll get it!" I assure Gerard. Mikey seats in my place on the sofa as I stand and walk into the kitchen. He stretches his legs out, and leans on the armrest, totally unaware of the conversation we're about to have.

"Can I have a cup too?" Gerard requests politely. "In a fun mug please." Despite not understanding what he means by "a fun mug", I nod gently.

Upon entering the kitchen, I put the kettle on and open up the cupboard. Then I realise what gee meant by a fun mug.

On one side of the shelf are neat rows of plain white mugs with black rims and handles. They're all completely identical. On the other side, is a haphazard rainbow of mugs. Some have cartoons on, others adorable little drawings or photography. Many are chipped or faded but none are boring or plain.

Assuming the boring mugs are Mikey's, I pick up one of them and two others. The ones I choose for me and Gee are galaxy print, one is laced with blue, the other tinged pink.

I pour the coffee and take the mugs into the lounge, Mikey's first.

"Thanks," Mikey mumbles, as I hand him the hot drink.

Gerard nods approvingly as I bring our cups in. "Galaxy is my aesthetic," He informs me seriously. Nodding sombrely, I pretend I know what he's talking about.

We sit in silence, sipping our instant coffee in comradeship for a few moments, united by our love for caffeine.

I feel like I have friends for maybe the first time in my life. It's a nice feeling. The expensive coffee probably helps too, it's the opposite to the cheap swill I usually drink.

Mikey finishes first, taking only minutes to gulp down his entire cup. He places it to one side, on the table.

"So," He begins. "What's going on?"

"What do you mean?" Gerard asks, the picture of innocence. His eyes look big and shiny. The act doesn't fool Mikey for a second and he shakes his head in denial.

"C'mon, I know you're up to something," He looks at his brother. "Normally you'd go straight up to your room when I arrive."

"Well," I start, about to explain what we're up to, when Mikey interrupts rudely.

"Was I talking to you?"

Almost as soon as the words leave Mikey's mouth, Gerard starts talking back. Within seconds I feel like I'm in the middle of Antarctica, the temperature of the room has dropped so much.

"Just shut up for once Mikey." Gerard defends me chivalrously. Chivalry isn't dead. "If you had actually bothered to listen, Frank was about to explain something to you, dickhead." He almost spits the last word.

For a second, I think Mikey will make a stand, but after a few seconds of me holding my breath he submits. A low sigh is his only sign of unhappiness, Except for the quiet anger concealed in his eyes.

For a second I have a flashback to yesterday when I came here. Gerard won that conflict too; it seems he always does. Mikey, who seems so intimidating, always listens to Gerard.