Nine

~Kayla~

I let it all sink in; I just completely ruined whatever family I had left. An endless stream of tears poured down my face. The only thing that I could think was 'what have I done?'. I felt a pair of warm arms wrap around my shaking body before I was pulled into a tight hug. I didn't care who it was, I just wrapped my arms around them, soaking their shirt with my tears.

When I had finally calmed to the point that the tears were only minimally falling, I noticed how quiet it had been. I also noticed the distinct smell of mint and vanilla. I looked up, meeting Lucas' eyes.

"You okay there sugarcookie?" 

If I answered that I was okay, he would know that I was lying and that I wasn't, but if I answered that I wasn't, he would pity me more. So I did neither. "Where is everyone?" I said as I took in a gross snotty breath.

Lucas scratched the back of his neck before he answered. "Reg went home."

"And your parents?"

"My mom-went over to your house to talk to your mom and my dad-he-he's giving your dad a ride to a hotel."

I broke up my family. I did. This is all my fault.

I released my hold on Lucas as I said, "I'm going to go lie down for awhile."

"Do you want some company? I don't think it would be good for you to be alone right now."

"I will be okay." I glanced down at his chest, realizing how soaked his shirt was. "Sorry about your shirt."

"I don't care about the shirt. I only care if you are alright."

I walked backwards away from Lucas until my back was hitting the banister. "Goodnight Lucas."

➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳ ➳

I woke up still in my white dress from last night. My hair was a mess and there was smeared makeup all over my face and pillow.

I slowly got up to clean my face and change into sweatpants and a sweatshirt. Pulling my hair into a ponytail, I curled up in a ball and let darkness consume me once again.

➳  ➳  ➳  ➳  ➳  ➳

I awake to a pressure in my side. I opened my eyes and turned to see Lucas asleep next to me. When had he come in here? I checked the clock; 3:43 pm. I slept through most of the day.

I slowly got up and headed to my bathroom. After a quick shower, I changed into a white shirt, jeans, and my black converse. I left my hair alone and went back into my room.

Lucas was lying down with his arms behind his head, staring up at the ceiling. "You did what needed to be done. It wasn't the best timing, but you needed to tell her sooner or later. She may never trust him again and your family may never be the same, but you don't need them. You have a new family and we love you more than anyone else ever will."

"I'm hungry." I blurted out. Truth be told, I was. I also didn't know how else to respond to that.

"Well  I would assume so since the last time you ate was lunch yesterday. Let's go to the diner. I'll call Reg."

"Could you maybe not call him? I don't think I'm ready to see anyone after what happened yesterday."

"You're seeing me aren't you?" Lucas said with a smirk. When I didn't reply he said, "All right, I won't call him. Let's go."

➳  ➳  ➳  ➳  ➳  ➳

When we got to the diner, we sat in an awkward silence. The only talking was when the waitress took our orders. When she left, I stared down at my lap. In the corner of my eye, I saw a bright patch of greens and blue. I had forgotten about my half heart tattoo. I glanced up, wondering if Lucas still had his, when I found him intensely looking at me. Shocked, I looked back down and traced the tattoo with my fingers.

"I always did wonder why you chose blue and green. I thought it was strange for a heart."

"Blue was my favorite color and green was yours. I wanted it to be extra symbolic."

"Hey; that is better than simple red like mine." Lucas had a large smile on his face as he watched me.

After that, there was no more awkward silence. We talked about stupid stuff the entire time we were at the diner. I do wonder though,

Why was he staring at me like that?