II: Chapter 4

Morning came bringing an end to Ranah's restless sleep. There was no sun, the storm was still raging outside. Her first instinct after awaking was to meditate and prepare herself for the day, she almost always did that. 'I don't feel like it today'  Ranah reasoned as she hopped from her bed. Apart from meditating she went about her normal morning routine. Bathing, getting dressed, eating. There was no class for her to teach, no one she needed to see, and overall nothing to do. The redhead made tea and plopped right back on the couch. Ranah wouldn't mind spending her day like this; sitting and thinking while watching the clouds churn.

Obi-Wan was leaving. Anakin was gone. The Council was treating her like a Padawan. All in her time of need. If the Jedi were all about helping the galaxy,  why wasn't there a single Jedi offering her help? Perhaps Ranah needed to accept the offer from Chancellor Palpatine. In this moment that seemed the clearest path for her to take. The green eyed Jedi felt so alone and without guidance,and the Chancellor was the easiest choice. Though, she had to remember if she accepted training from someone outside of the order she may be expelled permanently.   She was pulled from her indecision by a knock. Obi-Wan. It had to be. Ranah swiftly moved to the door, her ear pressed to it. "I told you not to come back" she stepped away. "Ranah." Obi-Wan pleaded. The Jedi slowly reached for the silver doorknob and twisted the door open. "Don't make me regret this" she said flatly, letting the man in. 

Ranah stood by the door, her eyes carefully tracing Obi-Wan's movement. The Jedi Master took a seat on the pristine couch Ranah was previously seated on. The redhead closed the door.  She sat back down near Obi-Wan, but not directly next to him. Ranah said nothing. "You like to watch the weather I presume?" he asked simply. "It reminds me of home. It helps me think." she explained tilting her head to the side. "Each type Thunderstorm is very different." The girl started. "For example on Pluv the clouds are only a light gray, you can even see the sun peek through sometimes. There's anywhere from a light drizzle of rain to raindrops the size of Gazoongah leaves. Here on Coruscant, there's been no rain. The storm clouds are darker gray, nearly black. I wouldn't be able to tell it was day if I didn't know better. The clouds keep shifting, sometimes there's lightning. Very menacing." she said keeping her eyes glued outside. Obi-Wan didn't look at the weather, he would rather look at Ranah. She seemed so at peace. A small smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. "You have a very interesting perspective on things." the man said. "So I've been told. It's a shame you only saw Pluv in the dry season.  The landscape is most beautiful when shaded and drenched." Ranah added. "Really?" he hummed. "Yes." she replied turning and looking at Obi-Wan.

"I know you didn't come here for a friendly chat. You want to talk about Palpatine." Ranah blurted. "Well Yes, but-" Obi-Wan began. The younger of the pair cut him off "Don't start. I'll tell you." Obi-Wan gestured for her to go on. "He just told Anakin to send me to him once I woke up. The Chancellor believes I'm ill like most other. He wanted to make sure I was going to be okay. I'm one of his favorite Jedi." she lied. The man bought it. "Can we discuss your recent struggles?" Obi-Wan questioned. "I don't want to." Ranah miffed. "Please?" he implored. The redhead stood "There's nothing to talk about." she walked over closer to the window and looked out, then began to chew on her nails. "Is it because of me? Did I provoke something I shouldn't have?" Obi-Wan asked helplessly. Ranah whipped around her hair trailing her like a comet, "No, never." she answered with certainty. He seemed relieved "Well when, or how?" Obi-Wan inquired. "When you left me on Pluv." she said honestly. The Jedi Master looked down. "I had speculated." he replied quietly. "It only escalated Obi-Wan." Ranah admitted,her voice pained. She turned back to the window. The Jedi felt her throat getting tighter, her heart rate increased, and tears threatened to wash down her cheeks. Obi-Wan stood now, joining Ranah at the window. "You can tell me." he promised, reaching down for her hand. This time she didn't pull away. "I'm not proud,but it's tearing me apart. Tell the council, hate me if you want. I just can't live with this secret anymore." she croaked out. Obi-Wan nodded in support. "I'm next in line for the crown. If my Father dies, it will be transferred to I. Then to my daughter or son after me." Ranah recounted. "Why is that troubling you?" he said perplexed, she would be a great leader if she needed to be.  The redhead took a deep breath then opened her mouth to explain. "It was just before I left for Coruscant. I was on Pluv with Nausikaa for the previous 2 months on a commissioned break. I had at least another month until I had to return to my duties, but then I received the call I was needed elsewhere. My original intention was to catch up with my mother and father, to meet my niece before I left. I wasn't able to bargain for anymore time. I needed to leave in the morning. So, that meant making a stop by the castle that very night."