Chapter 4

Since his first phone call, Josh called Carey every chance he could get, which was usually only about once a week because of his schedule. They always talked for at least an hour. They were learning a lot about each other. Josh found out that her favorite colours were blue and green and she loved anything with dolphins, moon and stars and Eeyore. Carey learned that he had a very close friend, he referred to as 'J' and that Josh had been to Disneyworld more times than he could count. Weeks turned into months as their phone calls grew longer and more frequent. The tour was coming to an end and they would be home. Johnny had allowed them four days break before he would haul them in to the recording studio. JC was debating whether or not he could get back to see her. The opportunity came when JC least expected it.

"Justin, are you and Alex taking off for a break to the lake?" JC asked Justin one afternoon.

"No. Alex is meeting with some new fashion designer in West Virginia. We're going to make it into kind of a romantic getaway. Know what I mean?" Justin wiggled his eyebrows at JC.

JC's eyes lit up. "Do you mind if I tag along?"

"JC! It will hardly be romantic with you hanging around!"

"Oh come on. I only want to go there. I won't even stay at the same hotel. If I fly, I'll have to take Jake or Allistar with me. Please." JC begged.

"Yes, he can come." Alex said from behind Justin, winking at JC. "West Virginia huh? Any special reason why you'd want to go back there hmmm?"

Justin threw up his hands in mock disgust. "If I didn't know better, I'd say you two are in cahoots."

"Aww, is poor witto Justin feeling left out." Alex stuck her bottom lip out at him. Justin grabbed her around the waist and threw her on to the hotel bed. Alex screamed and then started to giggle. Justin peppered her face and throat with kisses as he tickled her sides.

"Eww, you guys make me sick." JC got up to leave.

"Oh no." Alex broke off a kiss with Justin and laughed. "JC thinks we're being gross. Don't tell him what we did last night."

"Okay, I've heard enough!" JC covered his ears with his hands. "Lalalalala I can't hear you." He left them alone and went to find his notebook. Maybe he could work some more on his unfinished song. On the other side of the door he could hear Justin growling and Alex shrieking. I've heard too much. He laughed to himself.

(*******************)

The next two weeks passed in a whirlwind on activity. JC had not had a chance to phone Carey for even five minutes. He could barely contain his excitement to see her again but he was also a little apprehensive as to how he would act around her. And at how she would act around him. They were on the edge of something great but there was so much that she didn't know about him. There were so many things that she needed to know before there friendship developed into something more. JC was sure that he wanted their friendship to progress into more and he had to remind himself to be patient. Carey didn't seem like the kind of girl to rush into anything. He also had a small fear in the pit of his stomach that she would turn him away once she knew what he was holding back from her. He tried not to think about the fear.

He was going to call and tell her that he would be coming back to see her but then decided against it. He thought that if she didn't know he was coming back for the sole purpose of seeing her, then she wouldn't have a chance to form expectations about what the visit would mean. The last thing he wanted to do was to disappoint her, and to have himself disappointed.

(*******************)

"Are we there yet?" Justin whined from the passenger seat.

"No, now stop being a baby." Alex admonished. She popped a CD into the player and turned up the volume. "I didn't think it would be this boring of a drive."