Chapter 2

Jake and I had soon come to learn the hospital would be on lockdown for 48 hours. He swore some and so did I. Now I was holding my mothers hand with gloves on. I was also sitting as far away as possible because God forbid I cross the 4 foot line.

"You put up quite a fight back there, why do I get the feeling it didn't just have to do with your mom?" Jake sat on the chair at the opposite side of room. Without all his police padding he looked even less intimidating and honestly quite attractive.

"It does but I guess I couldn't always protect my mom so I feel obligated to do everything I can now." The person to pour your soul out to is a stranger and that's what he was. It was the complete truth something I had hidden from people for most of my life. There had only been one person I'd try to protect her from my entire life and that was my father. I had failed too many times for any of the successes to count.

"What about you? Why'd you decide to be a cop?" Since we were already way too deep to crawl out slowly, asking him something overly personal wouldn't do much damage now.

"I wasn't the best guy before I joined the force, I'm not still not but before I couldn't control my anger at all." I nodded without looking at him. I related to him it was about self improvement whereas my case was redemption.

My mother had been asleep for over an hour now. I knew she didn't have much time left to live but I couldn't accept that her time had come. Not so son at least. Her eyes fluttered open and she looked at Jake with confusion in her face.

"Hi mom, this is Jake, the officer who had to hold me back. The quarantine has been pushed to 48 hours now so we'll do whatever we can to make it through them."

"Alright honey don't spend all your time worrying about me. I'll be here. You know what the say about men in uniform, so don't waste this opportunity." She whispered the last part and I couldn't help but giggle. Even in bed rest her wicked sense of humor remained.

I patted her hand and handed her her book. It was getting late now so I decided to take up the bed next to hers. After the news of the extension I had stocked up on whatever food I could find as well as beds and supplies.

"Do you want me to take the bed for the first half of the night and then we can switch or?" His attention snapped towards me, it seemed he had been in his own world.

"I'll be fine you should get some rest." I nodded and didn't argue with him as I climbed in. Before I knew it I was asleep.

+++

I didn't sleep long as I'd been used to waking up early and going to the gym. Most of the time I would just find a punching bag and let out my tension. Now the closest thing to a punching bag was the bed I lay on. I opened my eyes to see Jake asleep as well as my mother. He looked younger, less tired, he was clearly attractive but I could tell he carried a weight on his shoulders. I just didn't know what that weight was yet.

I crawled out of bed and checked the time. 30 hours to go. I would have to make the most of them, or try and slow them down. I needed to take a walk to clear my head. Leaving a note for my mother I headed to look for answers. As I approached the restricted area I grabbed a lab coat and a clipboard from the reception. A doctor came through the doors just as quickly I went in.

There I saw exactly what I was afraid of, the people quarantined were in a miserable state. Blood was everywhere and it took everything in me not to throw up.

"Do you have clearance to be back here?" He was young, about my age. Maybe I could just tell him the truth, that would be the easiest way out. He didn't seem the type to withhold information especially since I was in the middle of all of it

"I'm not a doctor I actually stole these things from the reception. My mother has cancer she's not gonna be around much longer and she has a month at the most. I just want to know if whatever the hell this is will expedite that process."

"The virus has no cure and no one has survived it. That is why it is optimal to stay 4 to 6 feet apart at all times and avoid human contact. Within the 48 hours hopefully we will have a better understanding."

"Okay thank you I'll keep all of that in mind." I walked as fast as I could out of the hallway. I didn't look ahead as I collided into someone's chest. Thankfully my mask and gloves were on as I pushed away. Of course it was Jake.

"First NASA now you're an Atlanta doctor?" He said it sarcastically and I rolled my eyes.

"I got answers it's not like I play dress up when I'm bored." His usually grumpy expression cracked into a smile and I found myself smiling as well.

Jakes cell phone rang and he screened the call. I looked at him suspiciously.

"Girlfriend?" Wouldn't hurt to know if he had one or not. The men in uniform thing did stand to be true so far anyway.

"Nah it's my boss and ass of a best friend who got me into this mess." I whistled a low tone.

"You should call him, he's probably worried like hell." Jake looked at me for a second as if reading my expression then went away to call his friend.

A couple of minutes later he came back.

"I gotta go but I'll catch you later yeah?" He was already pulling on his helmet.

"See you then, good luck out there." I waved at him as he walked away. He turned around to salute me and then he was off.

A/n: all the support for this fic is amazing! I love all the comments and votes so keep them coming I'm actually so excited to write this and watch the show I'm already so invested and I hope you'll stay with me even after the show ends X.