Chapter 5

It had been almost a week since the cordon was initiated. What was first a mere 48 hours had stretched on. Now everyday I woke up, knowing my mother was gone, was another day full of pain.

Jake was either out or doing work for Cannerts. This left me entirely lamented about the overall situation. Food was scarce and more people died everyday. Connection to the outside had been cut off as well. It seemed things weren't getting any better even if that's what the government was saying.

But as bad as things got in the cordon things only got better with Jake. Every time Jake came back we would talk about what we would do when we got out. It kept us going, and hopeful.

"After all this maybe I'll become a soccer mom and live the calm life." I said jokingly. Jake smirked at me with an amused expression.

"After this that's what you'll need." He said in lighthearted tone of voice but I knew he meant it.

"I don't think anyone will come out of here the same."

"Your sister? Does she really hate you? Sorry to pry I guess it doesn't make sense to me."

"No it's fine it's not like I'm going anywhere. My sister is 8 years younger than me meaning she doesn't remember the tough times of our lives. She does however remember me abandoning her and my family to run off to Florida. She also remembers my lack of calls."

"I'm sure you had a reason though right?"

"I don't know maybe it wasn't good enough. When I was 13 I stood up to my dad it didn't exactly end well. I moved out to live with my aunt for a while and my sister came with me. However my mother stayed behind and I guess I can never forgive myself for that."

"I-I'm so sorry." Something in his eyes told me he understood the feeling, and it made me feel better if only for a second. I just gave him a small smile to reassure him I was fine.

"Obviously things improved for us but it was never the same you know?" Jake nodded and I was glad he was there for me.

I couldn't help but feel I was falling for him. He'd been nothing but sweet since the beginning. He wasn't blatantly obvious about it but there were little things he did that endeared him to me more and more. Maybe Jake Riley would be the only left for me after all this.

"I'm probably behind on so much tv." Out of the blue I said this while we were walking back to our room.

"Is that really all you can think about?"

"No that's one of my many worries."

"Right, speaking of which there is gonna be a food drop tomorrow. I have to be there but you should come and get a box for however much longer we are in here."

"Okay yeah will do." We made it to our room and I immediately crawled under my covers. Sleeping helped me cope, not to mention it wasted time which was highly important being in cordon and all.

+++
When I woke up Jake was gone. He was probably already at the food drop. I decided to head out not before Cannerts insisted I wear as much as protection as I physically possible.

I kept my head down as I walked through the streets. I had heard too many stories from Jake. People were desperate, making them hostile. I was doing well going unnoticed until someone decided to catcall me. I kept walking as I looked up and glared. Probably not the best idea but I had enough objectification of women to last me a lifetime.

"Baby you got something to say? Though with an ass like that I could let it slide." That's it.

"I'm a human being and I sure as hell don't know you so why would you think I would respond to a demeaning noise like that?"

"Aye bitch who do you think you're talking to?" He stepped towards me and sure he was bigger than me but I didn't tend to back out of fights. That didn't mean I won them but backing down wasn't really my style. He had two friends stepping forward as well and I backed up getting ready to move as soon as I had to.

The guy had an evil grin and reached to grab me. I kicked him straight where it hurt. He kneeled over in pain and while the other two were distracted I knocked a trash can over to block their path. Then I sprinted away.

I didn't stop running until I was at food drop. I wasn't convinced I was safe until I saw all the men in uniform. I couldn't make out where Jake was but it didn't matter as I got in line to get my ration. It was a terrifying sight. So many people were hungry, dirty, and hopeless. It made me wonder just how much of what the government told the public was true about the cordon.

The line moved pretty quickly until a gang rolled up It didn't take long to figure out they were trouble. They pointed their guns at the police officers and I ran out of line towards the scene. Jake would be one of them. Then I knew exactly which one he was. He stepped forward to talk to the man in charge and I was too far away to hear them. Things didn't get better quickly and I wanted nothing more to run forward and save him. After some yelling and threats it seemed Jake had come to some kind of agreement.

The gang was taking all of the food and loading the boxes onto their truck. Jake's head was down and I stepped forward after they had left.

"Hey you did good. You saved a lot of people today."

"Unless they starve to death." He looked up and I could tell he was pissed. His expression softened though as he probably saw the concern clear on my face.

"They won't, I'm sure. The outside will find out and send more supplies." I smiled and he managed a small smile back. He nodded towards the direction of the hospital and we started back.

"Hey don't think you're the only badass I took on three guys in an alley." I tried lightening the mood and this caused him to chuckle.

"Really? Define took on." He gave me a suspicious glance.

"Okay it was more like I hurt one and sprinted away but that makes me sound really lame." This caused him to laugh a lot, so much so I started laughing and then we were both in hysterics. By the time we got to the hospital it was as if the days problems had driven us mad.

A/n: sorry I updated later than usual! I'm probably not gonna get that much time going forth because I'll have finals and god knows I need to study :D but yeah containment is great and Jake Riley is just too precious
Vote, comment, you know the drill X.