Chapter 7

"Hey honey what's your name?" Jake looked like he was ready to climb up but I gave him a quick shake of the head. The kid stepped forward and instinctively I cringed, but regained myself.

"I'm Sam."

"Alright Sam can you climb? Because if so my friend down there is gonna take you somewhere really safe, he's a police officer." I pointed towards Jake. I was now kneeled in front of the little boy any sudden movements and my life could be at risk. Finally after what seemed like forever the little boy started to climb down. I then realized I wouldn't be able to climb down after him as I would touch where he had touched.

The kid had reached Jake while I thought about what I could do. I had to break one of Jake's rules. As I took off the long sleeved shirt I started to climb down the ladder. My hands were solely on the sleeves of the shirt as I slid down. It was hard to remain balanced as the fabric was too slippery against the metal. As I climbed down another ring my foot slid off, I grabbed onto the ladder but the shirt had come out from under my hand. I looked down to see if Jake had noticed but he hadn't so I remained calm and made my way down.

"You okay?" Jake asked when I was on solid ground and I forced a nod. I chucked the shirt to the side of the street and we three made our way back. I avoided Jake like the plague once we got to hospital. He got Sam into quarantine while I found Cannerts, I quickly rushed in and told him everything.

"I'm sorry to say it but it's going to be quarantine again, you didn't go near Jake did you? No chance of anything?" I shook my head and he nodded, feeling relieved. Quietly he slipped me into quarantine before Jake could notice.

After a couple minutes I heard a familiar deep voice.

"What the hell Kendal?" He looked more worried than pissed.

"I kind of touched the ladder when I came down after Sam. I didn't want you to worry about me since you have so much to worry about already." I rambled on as I moved closer to the glass separating Jake and I. I had my hands pressed against the glass and he had one his where mine was.

"Kendal that's the stupidest reasoning I've ever heard. You're already on my mind 24/7-" Jake stopped talking as he realized what he had said. Our eyes met and I smiled and just nodded. We didn't say anything after that, because nothing would come of it, not now at least. He felt the same. I felt giddy as Jake walked away, I didn't want to think about it too much, in fear of getting my hopes up.

I had already done this before so I laid down and let sleep take me.

+++
Quarantine was soon over and I still didn't get infected. Now I was confused by this since Cannerts had informed me that Sam had passed away. Initially I had cried for the sweet little kid and what his family would have felt if they knew, but then I grew curious as to why I didn't infected. Cannerts was confused by this too and he said that after I was released he would have to run some tests.

As soon as I got Cannerts started to ask me questions. My mind was somewhere else but I answered them as they required yes/no answers. I couldn't stop thinking about Jake about what it all meant. Even if the cordon did end where did that leave us? Cannerts asked me if he could take my blood and I agreed without hesitation. If I was, somehow someway, immune to the virus I needed to know.

"Alright I'm gonna run some tests and I'll get back to you as soon as I can." I gave him a weak smile and as soon as he was out of sight I took off down the hall. What can I say? Jake Riley made me lose my mind. I found him finally and was going to rush into his arms as he had the open but stopped abruptly. Only inches away from him, he sighed and whispered, "we can't touch."

"Well it's a good thing you're nice to look at." I spoke louder than him to fill the space between us. Right now it seemed as big as the universe itself. Then a thought occurred to me, if I really was immune could I touch him? Besides the fact that I may be the solution to an epidemic, I would be able to touch everyone. I told Jake this, not the part about being overly excited to feel him up, but the part about maybe saving everyone.

"That's...wow. Thank God you showed when you did huh?" His eyes twinkled under the light and I had to suppress a groan. First of all I couldn't kiss the day lights out of him which caused me to want to groan, second of all I really needed to get my hormones in check because I'm starting to sound like a horny teenager. I however managed to respond like a normal human.

"No thank God you showed up, I was close to busting out of here." He laughed then and I wanted to rip my hair out at that point. God who knew I could be so immature, just tell him you like him! When Jake laughed or smile his face creased in the cutest way possible and i wanted nothing more than to see that 24/7.

"Jake I gotta tell you something." I started, oh gosh it's now or never. He looked concerned but I gave him a smile to assure him I was fine.

"I uhm I-" I had almost confessed my feelings but Cannerts decided now would be the time to interrupt.

"I'm starting the tests if you'd like to join?" We stood up quickly and followed him to the lab. I couldn't help but feel a hint of regret as Jake followed him closely.

A/n: sorry for being slow with updates I've been studying for finals and last week of school and all that bs but yee Summer is coming and I'm so excited to write this...also I'm gonna finish around when the show does but I'll have an epilogue and some more chapters since the story lines are different.
Don't forget to vote, comment, and share X.