Chapter 23

"So. Spill. I want to know it all." Jane plopped down on Lizzy's bed, bringing her abruptly awake. Lizzy painfully opened one eye squinting at the brightness of the room as she checked the time on the clock.

"It's only 7:20, for God's sake!I'll tell you later." She mumbled as she covered her head with the pillow.

Jane pulled it off, "No, tell me now. I can't wait any more." She smiled brightly.

Lizzy groaned and finally rose to a sitting position. Looking at her excited sister she sighed. "Jane, you are the least-irritating, irritating person I know."

"Come on, you love me." Jane chided.

"Yes, I do, which is why I haven't knocked you to the floor and clobbered you over the head for waking me up....yet. I'm still considering it." She fluffed her pillow and leaned back. "Now, what do you want to know?"

"What happened? Did you have a good time? Are you going to see him again? Did he kiss you?" Jane rifled each question off.

Lizzy paused for a moment before replying "A lot. Yes. Yes. And OMG, did he ever." She smiled as Jane squealed in response.

"I need details."

"Okay. We had dinner. Then we went to the park and looked at the stars and talked. And then we made out. A lot. Damn, that boy can kiss; my toes are still curled." Lizzy dreamily stared at the ceiling, recalling. She didn't think she would ever forget the time she spent locked in his embrace, his strong arms holding her close as his lips masterfully covered her own, dipping his tongue in to possess her completely.

"Wait, is that a...? Lizzy!  You let him give you a hickey?" Jane accused, noticing the bruise on her sister's neck.

Lizzy blushed and covered her neck with her hand. Maybe they had gotten a little carried away. "It was great, okay? He was great. I really like him, Jane." Lizzy became animated as she shared his sad story of unfairness and heartbreak.

"Wow, I didn't think Will was like that. I guess you just never know." Jane mused. "Well, I'm off to do some errands. I can drop your dress at the cleaners since I am taking mine." She offered.

"Okay, that would be great." Lizzy took grabbed the heap slouched in the corner of her room and handed it to Jane.

 "Didn't you have a matching wrap with this?" 

"Oh, yeah. I don't remember bringing it home. I wonder if I left it at the party? Oh well. What's for breakfast?" She shrugged.

********

Later, once she was awake and fed,Lizzy became restless, listening to her Mother argue with Lydia and Mary about something ridiculous. She watched her father, sitting and reading a newspaper in the middle of the mayhem, seemingly unaware as the pandemonium raged on around him.  She had been away from the drama long enough that it now drove her crazy and could no longer be ignored. 

 "I'm going to the library." She announced to no one in particular, slipping on her coat and snow boots. The library had become her sanctuary during the last semester and she needed some down time whether she needed to study or not.

She had been reading for a couple hours, browsing through the articles in Modern Medicine and Health about new procedures and new medicines, as she soaked in the serene quiet.  She loved her family but they be a bit much some times.  

Her eyes kept wondering to her phone where it was laying on the table. She had checked it at least ten times already, waiting for Gage to call. Why hadn't he called her.  She thought about texting him, but didn't not want to push too far too soon.  Suddenly, she felt this uneasy feeling. It was as if someone was staring at her or standing right behind her. She turned and her eyes met with Will's. What was he doing here? She closed her mouth when she realized  it was hanging open.