Chapter 15

Will was drunk. Completely besotted with the ghostly image of the beautiful woman in front of him. Her face was hazy and indistinct through the heavy steam, softened by the moisture in the air. Will was awash in the ambrosia of her sweet breath, deep and even in in slumber. He now knew what it meant to feel like a broken man. Having his free will stripped from him by his desire for this woman. He had lost the battle to stay away from her.

He closed his eyes and groaned once more, this time not in agony but anticipation of their first kiss. His lips shadowed hers...

And then he heard the voices. There were indistinct mumbles and giggling on the other side of the door. He jumped away from Lizzy, where she still slept unawares. He was still standing across from her when the door opened and Charlie and Jane entered, laughing at some private joke. They stopped abruptly, shocked at seeing Will here.

He had gotten some distance from Lizzy, but still had a guilty, deer-in-the-headlights look on his face.

Charlie immediately noticed his discomfiture.

"What's wrong with you Will? You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, just too hot I guess."

Just then Jane looked over and noticed Lizzy moving sluggishly, starting to awaken at their voices.  She was blinking blearily and rubbing her face.

"Lizzy! You're here too! We wondered where you had gone. We looked for you and you weren't in the room." Her gaze swung to Will. "We didn't realize you were together."

"We weren't together." Will said a little too vehemently. "I was here first. Didn't even notice Miss Bennet arrive." It sounded lame even to his own ears. "I was getting too hot, preparing to leave..." He raked his hands through his hair ending up lacing them behind his head and taking a deep breath to steady himself.

"I've had all I can take."

Who was he kidding? No one was going to believe him. He wouldn't believe him. He mumbled an indistinct excuse and headed for the door.

"I must have dozed off." Lizzy said, rising unsteadily. "I don't feel well. I'm so dizzy."

"Probably got too much heat. That can happen, especially if you fall asleep in here. They caution against it just for that reason. Supposed to buddy up, keep each other awake."

"Oh, yeah. I was alone. I should have left when that couple did. . ."

Jane laughed. "What are you talking about, Lizzy? Did you forget that Will was in here with you?"

"He was?"

"You didn't know?"

"He did look a bit funny." Charlie added. And guilty, he thought.

"Oh, now I feel even worse. I think I need to go lie down in bed for a while." Lizzy stumbled a bit at first, making her way to the door.

"Are you going to be okay? Can you make it by yourself?" Jane's concern showed in her voice.

"Yes, yes. You stay. You just got here. I can make it back on my own."

"If you're sure."

Lizzy stood up straight, faking it as best she could until she was safely out of Jane's sight.

She was so lightheaded that she was seeing double, although she hadn't wanted to admit it. She was too tired, too hot and too dehydrated, she felt like she was coming down with something.

It felt like it took an eternity to reach their suite again. She stumbled from the briefest shower she had ever taken, wrapped herself in her fluffy robe, took two aspirin with a large glass of water and went to bed.