Requirements

Recap: The Vampire Prince went to Rin's house and tried to drink her blood. The next day, he appeared at her school.

-------

I was absolutely mortified.

My body was frozen in the spot. All I could do was stare over Carlos's shoulder. This was a nightmare. Hadn't he been arrested last night? Jailed? Paid a fine? Apparently not because he crossed the street in the most relaxed manner ever. Why was he here? That's when everyone spotted him. Carlos turned around with a frown. I heard him curse but I couldn't hear the words.

The Vampire Prince strutted past us in designer jeans and a leather jacket. The black shirt underneath was skin tight. He had a smirk on his face. He practically ignored me and acted like he hadn't barged into my house and tried to kill me. I felt my body shake with anger. It was all I could do to keep myself from making a scene. I couldn't afford to have the entire female population at school against me. I didn't want to deal with the stupid angry notes or the glares. Sonia wouldn't be against me but she was 0.01% and that wasn't going to be much help.

The Prince glanced back and our eyes met. I glared at him. He smiled at me - looking smug before continuing into the school. It was like time had stopped. We were all frozen to the ground. The drop-off line had completely come to a stop and that was even a miracle.

That's when the screaming started.

It was the high pitch squeal of a hundred girls. It did the trick. Time flowed back into place. Girls started crying and some were even hyperventilating. They squealed a stream of words that could shatter glass and jumped up and down. I rolled my eyes. This was how they encouraged his rebellious behavior.

"Why the fuck is he here?" Carlos had snapped out of it. His face was red and his fists were clenched.

I had only seen him that angry when he had heard some jock had been hitting on Sonia. It was surprising to hear Carlos say that. For a second there, I was actually impressed. A hand grabbed my arm. I jumped and nearly fell until I spotted the culprit.

"Sonia," I said.

The next words got stuck in my throat. Sonia was pale and she shook. I grabbed her and hoped she wasn't going to faint.

"Breathe," I told her. "Breathe."

She nodded and tried taking deep breaths. Carlos came up beside her and we lead her to the nearest bench. We walked by a couple of girls texting madly on their phones. In a couple of minutes, everyone in our area would know that the Vampire Prince was at our school.

***

Saturday.

There was a reason why we go to school on the second Saturday of every month.

Blood Tests.

Yeah, you heard me. Every citizen was required to take a blood test every month. Even our families had to have such blood tests taken. They called in and asked to go to a certain place. It went toward deduction of taxes so; I guess there wasn't a reason to not go. The purpose was for scientific research no one seemed to know about or why. In truth, I suspected it was for mafia purposes. I bet the Government paid the vampire mafia to keep on its good side.

The crimes against humans had gone down and the police weren't finding massacres every other day. This had been seven years ago. Blood seemed to be the only thing turning the world. I could be wrong. Maybe they were trying to make synthetic blood to feed vampires. Or maybe the Government wanted to know . . . Yeah; I think it was for mafia purposes.

My class, as in, my graduating class was ushered into the gym while other classes were taken somewhere else. The seniors were probably in the cafeteria and the others in classrooms. Booths and equipment were set up and the bleachers were pulled back. Teachers lead us to the stage where we sat and waited for our names to be called.