A Mutual Pact

I wished the ground would swallow me. How could I say those things last night?

Someone please kill me now. 

How could I have asked him to stay? Groaning, I rolled myself into a ball. What if I saw him? What was I supposed to say to him? No, I told myself, I won't see him again. There's no contract anymore. I'm out of danger. Nothing is keeping him here except his pride. Maybe that won't be a factor and I never have to see him again.

'Stop moving around. It's cold.'

I froze. He was here?! He hadn't left yet?! I yanked the comforter off my head and sprung up. The room was illuminated by only a lamp. Everything else was dark but it was enough for me to see a grumpy kitten curled up on one of my pillows and giving me a death glare. 

"You-you're not supposed to be here," I stammered out.

The death glare continued. 'You asked me to stay here, don't you remember?'

My face felt hot. Instead of answering, I pulled the comforter over my head and went back into a fetal position. 

'What was it that you said again?' he continued.

"Shut up."

I swear he laughed. The bed suddenly dipped with weight. He had turned back into a real boy. Against my better judgement, I pulled the comforter off my head. The Prince had his back propped against the headboard and his feet were crossed at the ankles. He wore a different set of clothing than yesterday. So, he had gone home and changed. Why had he come back?

"Do you trust me?" he suddenly asked.

"No."

He looked down at me. "That was quick."

"Do you trust me?" I shot back.

He opened his mouth then closed it. "You make a valid point," he muttered. 

What was he going on about now? I glanced at the clock next to him. I had about thirty minutes before the alarm went off and I had to get up and get ready for school. How was the week not over yet? I also hated waking up before my alarm. 

"Go out with me," he suddenly said.

My response came instantly. "No."

He gave me another look. I stared back at him, feeling my body go hot.  What was he doing? Asking me out all of a sudden? Was this really the Prince? Had a different vampire replaced him. If this was the real one, it was probably another one of his jokes. 

"You refused me so easily."

"Why would I go out with you?" I asked. "You don't like me. I - don't like you. We have nothing in common."

"That is a lie."

My heart lurched. He probably heard it too. The Prince must have known I wouldn't agree to something like that. We didn't like each other. So, why did he ask?

"What are you playing at?" I asked him. "Is this another one of Violet's schemes? Do you need to be seen with humans to boost up your reputation?"

"If I don't stay with you, how else am I supposed to protect you?" He made a good point. 

Speechless, I could only stare at him. Wh-what?! Why was he saying weird things again? Since when did he want to protect me?

"You can get kidnapped again," he continued, "I can't have you as a liability." 

So, that's what this was about. "I'm sorry if I can't help but get kidnapped by vampires," I retorted. 

"That exactly my point. If I stay with you, they can't use you to get to me. You're safe and I get to figure out who's trying to frame me."