chapter four

FALL

"You want some gear, sure, but I ain't taking that girl off your hands." - Tommy

"Hydroelectric power plant." Harry says with a small breath as they approach the small shed on the side.

"Electricity." Louis says, "We could cross through that small erm... bridge. Try to turn that crank."

Harry puts his rifle to his holster before gripping on the rusty wheel. He turns it with slight struggle until half of the bridge is upright, steady for someone to walk through. The other crank is on the other side, which should control the other half of the bridge, so he huffs and groans, reaching to take off his bag to avoid more problems with soaked weapons, "Hold this for me, I'll swim over to there to-"

"I can do it." Louis volunteers, then he blushes slightly as Harry turns to look at him, "I um.. -"

"Suit yourself." Harry puts on his bag again, gestures for Louis to take off his, "Take your bag off for me. I don't want to share my weapons with you."

"Douche." Louis snorts and tosses Harry his bag. Harry hooks its straps to his shoulders, but this time Louis' bag is on his front. He watches silently as Louis jumps into the rushing water and dive down to swim. Harry raises an eyebrow as Louis resurfaces with a grin on his face, clinging onto the railing and pushing himself up and over. He turns the crank and Harry waits until the thing is turned. He crosses the bridge, mindful of his steps.

"Careful." Louis calls out.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm already through." Harry jumps down to meet Louis, "You seem happy to have a swim."

"Yeah, well.." Louis shrugs and his smile slips wider as he clasps his hands. Jesus, he's soaked, "The water's cold and it's been hot the past summer."

Harry walks up him, "You'd get even colder in winter."

"I know that."

They jump back into the earth and both of them vault over the tree trunk blocking their way. Harry immediately steps back to where he's stepping, stumbling over Louis' feet. Louis purses his lips, "You're sure this was a good place to bury him? I think-"

"Louis ..." Harry sends him a look before jogging onwards, "Let's get going."

Louis juts his bottom lip out subconsciously as he watches Harry put some distance between them, but he catches up, "God, I'm so hungry."

"Soup not enough for you?"

"No."

"Let's just get past this place and then we can hunt for some food." Harry promises. He uses a large trunk of tree to step on as he climbs over a cliff a few feet tall. He crouches down and offers Louis his hand which Louis accepts.

They enter a shed nearby, and Louis picks up a map on the wall, "There's a map."

"I don't know how to read a map." Harry snatches a weapon, and his eyes widen as he notices a scope. It's a scoped pistol.

"Oh, useless then." Louis drops the map, "Irrelevant."

They exit the shed and Louis observes the surroundings, finding the road blocked with equipment and other way blocked with large metal double doors. It's a large territory, "Should we head in?" Both of them approaches the doors and Harry tries to budge the door open.

Louis hears a click and he looks up, seeing survivors with their hands down, pointing at Harry. He grabs his pistol and aims, "Harry."

Harry stops and looks up, hands lifting up as he backs away. A man speaks up, "Tell the man to drop his weapon."