Chapter 8

t took a long time for Mark to get up the courage to leave the hotel bar and go up to his room. He had been sitting there for what seemed like hours, but was in reality, only thirty minutes. He knew he had to go up to his room and talk to Lexie, to tell her what happened, but he just couldn't.

When he finally did get the courage to do it, he was shaking as he rode the elevator. By the time he put the key in the door to his room, Mark felt sick to his stomach.

Lexie was coming out of the bathroom, and when she saw him she smiled. "Perfect timing. I just finished, but I left plenty of hot water for you." She walked over to the vanity and grabbed her brush, running it through her hair. "I have to go soon; I promised I would be at George's solo surgery tonight."

"Okay," Mark said.

"What did Derek want?" Lexie asked. "Did he warn you away from me again?" Lexie laughed and Mark thought to himself that it sounded like bells ringing.

"Yeah," Mark said. "He did. He made it clear that in no uncertain terms am I to go near you."

Lexie laughed again. "Oh, poor you. Well, he will just have to get used to the idea of us together."

Mark sat down on the bed heavily. "I don't think that is an option anymore."

Lexie stopped brushing her hair. She got very still, and then turned around to face Mark. "What do you mean?" Her voice was trembling.

"I mean Derek was very clear. He doesn't want me near you in any capacity. And if I make that choice, if I continued to pursue you, I would lose his friendship."

"What did you tell him?" Lexie asked quietly.

Mark said nothing.

"Tell me you didn't say that you would give me up! Tell me you didn't promise to stay away from me." Her voice was filled with disbelief and fear.

"I didn't promise anything," Mark said, his head falling into his hands. "I made no promises to anyone."

"Yes, you did," Lexie said. "You made promises to me! To me, Mark!"

He looked up at her, his eyes tortured, "Lex…"

Lexie reeled back. "No, you can't do this Mark. I won't let you." She walked over to the bed, sat next to him, and pulled his mouth to hers. She tried to convince him with her body, that which she could not say with words: that they belonged together.

Clothes quickly went flying, as they attacked each other hungrily. She touched him with measured movements, her hands finding those acutely sensitive spots which she had spent the last month discovering. When she dragged her teeth across his chest, and felt his shudder in response, she said, "You want me. You know that." He wasn't resisting, but his eyes look so sorrowful. But after a while his resolve melted away. He pulled her to him, and met her lips with a pleading kiss. Her eyes met his in drugged passion, and as she straddled him and settled down on his hot length, she whispered, "You can't let this go."

They both quickly found their release, and after, when she had collapse on top of him, his eyes met her own. "Tell me now that you don't want me," she whispered. "I dare you."

"Oh, Lexie," he whispered.

She felt something die inside of her at that moment. She eased off of him, and sat on the edge of the bed facing away from him. Tears were coursing down her face, and she was trying desperately to keep in her sobs. Finally, when she had gained some measure of self-control, she said, still facing away from him, "Why are you doing this?"

"He's my brother," Mark said, his voice filled with regret. "I don't know what to do."

Lexie stood and silently dressed. She wouldn't look at him. When she was fully dressed, Lexie turned to Mark. "I know that this is hard for you. I know what you might have to give up, but Mark, you have to choose. It is not ideal, and God knows that you never should have to do this, but Derek has made that impossible. So you have to choose."