Chapter 12

ark could feel Lexie grin against his neck, and he allowed himself a smile of his own. When had this happened? When had he gotten to the point where her happiness superseded his own? Telling Lexie that he loved her tonight had been a release of the purest kind, but hearing that she loved him? That had nearly destroyed any semblance of self-control that he had. He loved this woman in the purest and deepest way possible. She had found her way into not only his life and his heart, but his soul as well. Mark had never been one for romantic sentiment, but he quickly realized that that was the only way he could express the complex emotions that Lexie stirred in him. He knew that only now was not good enough. He wanted her with him for always.

For once, forever sounded like a promise instead of a curse.

He wanted to be good at this. He didn't want to mess it up. He wanted Lexie to always be as happy as she was at this moment. If only there was a way to insure that.

Mark soon became aware that Lexie was crying into his shirt. "Hey," he said, cupping her face, "What's wrong?"

Lexie shook her head, smiling. "Nothing at all. It's just…you love me."

Mark smiled quizzically. "Yes, I do."

"No one… no one has ever said that to me before when I wanted to hear it. Never someone that I loved back. And never someone that I loved back so desperately."

"No one has ever said it to me before at all," Mark confessed, wiping the tears on her face with the pads of his fingers. "This is a first for me, Lex."

"Oh, Mark," She said, grabbing his head and kissing him.

"Not here, Lex," Mark mumbled. "The things I want to do to you are not meant for a hospital."

"Please, Mark," Lexie said, taking on her jacket and pulling off her scrub top. "I can't wait." Her pants and underwear soon followed.

Mark backed her to the table, and lifted her so she was sitting on it. He quickly unbuttoned his jeans, and when he pressed against her, he swore, "God, you're soaking."

"I want you," she said, with shyness in her eyes.

Mark realized then that one of the million things he loved about Lexie was the fact that she hadn't lost any of that wide-eyed innocence. She still had it all; in fact, a little might have rubbed off on him. He was now able to believe in happily-ever-afters for the first time.

They quickly began to move against each other, and Lexie started moaning against his neck, whispering, "Closer, closer." Mark tried to make it last, but this was destined to be a quick and desperate thing. And when they finally came in a fast explosion, neither of them remembered ever being so connected before.

Mark eased Lexie down on the table, and quirked his lips.

"What?" She asked, seeing his expression.

"I have a meeting in here tomorrow," Mark said with a laugh. "Somehow I doubt I will be able to focus."

Lexie grinned. "Sorry."

"No, you're not," he said, kissing her cheek.

"No, I am really not," Lexie murmured.

"Let's go home," Mark whispered against her hair. "Are you done for the night?"

Lexie checked her watch. "Ten more minutes. I think the chief can forgive me if I leave early. Come on, Mark." Her eyes got dark as she looked at him. "Take me home."

Mark and Lexie swiftly left the conference room, observed by only two nurses who shook their heads at Dr. Sloan yelling at that nice and sweet Dr. Grey.