Chapter 10

I passed out on the floor that night.

I woke up the next morning though in mine and Zach's shared bed.

At some point, I assumed Zach had picked me up and put me to bed. I was in new clothes, my hair was brushed out of its curls from the night before, and a glass of water and pain relieving pills sat on the night stand next to the bed.

This was Zach's usual.

Whenever his rage spiraled out of control and the beating was bad enough, he would always try and care for me as much as his pride would allow the next morning.

This would elicit pain pills, wrapping my wounds, flowers, and maybe even dinner the next day.

But never an apology.

That was outside of Zach's comfort zone. Zach, was never wrong which meant Zach never apologized; for anything.

Thankfully, Zach's company party was on a Friday, meaning that I had the weekend to recover from my injuries as much as I could.

I was bedridden all of Saturday, unable to move due to the extensive pain that would shoot through my stomach every time I moved. Sunday wasn't much of an improvement. I could move around the house lazily and was careful to not strain myself too much and save most of my energy for Monday.

Rehearsal.

The rehearsal where I would be forced to come in contact with Kaleb, the man whom I was attracted to, the man I almost let kiss me, the man that had unintentionally played a large hand in the beating I endured Friday night.

To say I was dreading the interaction would be an understatement.

Yet, as I woke up on Monday morning, managed to tug on a long sleeved, tan shirt to cover the still healing bruises on my arms and a pair of black shorts, I knew I had no other choice.

I walked into the rehearsal hall slowly, my feet shuffling along the theaters flooring in short steps, careful not to take too long of strides and strain my still healing muscles.

I had to keep every wince, every whimper, and every moan of pain sealed up tightly behind my lips and features.

No one could know what I went through Friday night.

Especially not Kaleb.

The second I opened the lobby doors and entered the theater, it was uncanny how almost instantaneously our eyes were drawn to one another's.

Kaleb was sitting in the back of the theater directly next to the doors that led into the lobby. His dominating presence practically exploded around me and shock reverberated through my body as I saw him sitting there. He had his elbow resting on the arm of the seat and his head set on his fist, a far off look in his eyes. One of his legs bounced anxiously as he waited for something.

As he waited for me.

The moment I stepped into the room, Kaleb's head whipped in my direction. His eyes shinned with relief and with joy as he stood from his seat and made his way towards me.

"Hey," he said in a rush of breath and continued to bounce on the balls of his feet almost nervously.

"Hi," I mumbled under my breath as I ran a hand through my auburn locks and pushed a piece of hair behind my ear.

"How is everything?"

Horrible.

"Fine."

"Good," Kaleb said with a nod, his eyes shining into mine with unsaid thoughts swimming behind his river blue eyes. "I just... wanted to make sure after everything that happened at the party."