Chapter 26

For the second time this month, I watched as Kaleb stalked away from me on stage and towards the dressing rooms. My mind was reeling in confusion, my heart thrumming in my chest anxiously as my eyes drifted over to find Meg's equally bewildered expression in the audience.

My lips parted in an attempt to say something; anything. No words were able to be formed, my eyes still wide and confused on Meg's.

Thankfully, Meg always had something to say.

"Go!" she ushered me on, gesturing for me to go in the direction that Kaleb had gone in.

I didn't need much convincing as my feet took on a mind of their own as they pounded against the stage and along the hallways of the theater as my eyes searched frantically for the familiar head of midnight colored hair.

My stare landed on him just as he went to round the corner into the dressing room.

"Kaleb!"

His entire body flinched at the sound of my voice, the muscles in his back constricting visibly underneath his tight, navy blue shirt.

"Not now, Leah," he called over his shoulder as he disappeared from my sight and continued around the corner to the dressing rooms.

My legs kept on though, bringing me around the corner hastily to catch up to him.

"Kaleb, what's wrong?" I tried again, running up the hall and ahead of Kaleb to place myself in front of him and stop him from walking any further.

"Nothing's wrong," he lied as he tried to side step his way past me. I countered his movement though, bringing my small frame right in front of his, our chests brushing briefly before Kaleb tore his body from mine and stumbled a few feet back, seemingly desperate to relieve the physical contact.

I pushed past the hurt at his denial and continued pressing him, feeling more and more anxious to know what was spurring his sudden reaction.

"Then why did you run off stage?"

A deep groan resonated through the hallway as Kaleb drew both of his hands up into his hair, running them through his locks as his wild eyes flitted across everything possible in the hallways asides from me.

I had never seen Kaleb look so uncontrolled.

"I don't wanna talk about this, Leah," Kaleb said, his voice low and almost sounding as a warning.

"Kaleb, please-"

"I said I don't want to talk about it!" Kaleb exploded, his anger bouncing off the walls around us and sending a knife of terror slicing through my body as it jolted and froze in its spot.

I didn't dare breath, didn't dare to make a movement as I kept my enlarged, fright filled eyes trained on Kaleb's body as he dropped his weight onto the wall next to him, resting his forehead against the brick wall as his chest heaved with each rage induced breath he took.

In that moment, Kaleb was terrifying.

I was petrified to my spot, waiting for him to say something or to tell me to leave. Finally, he moved his head ever so slightly and captured my gaze with his.

I held in the gasp that so desperately tried to slip past my lips as I took in the emotions flooding through Kaleb's radiant stare.

He didn't look angry like I thought he would; he looked scared.

Kaleb's eyebrows dipped together, his face creased and shining with genuine terror.

But why?

Then, regret swarmed through his stare as he took in my rigid stance and evidently fearful expression.