Chapter 2 : Encounter

Gray slowly stretched when he woke up, dazzled by the rising sun. Then he got out of bed. Self-employed, he didn't really have to wake up this early, but he preferred the quietude and beauty of the morning to work. After all, even though he had a creative nature, he was always inspired in the morning to make his sculptures.

The young man ate peacefully breakfast before walking to his workshop a couple of streets from where he lived. At that time of day, only few people were circulating in the town. He walked indolently until his meeting with a young couple. Seeing him, the girl's cheeks reddened, her eyes locked on Gray. As for her fiancé, he was glaring at him, passing a protective arm around the young woman's shoulders and led her further. It didn't take more for Gray to look down at his naked chest.

"Shit!", he exclaimed realising he had forgotten, again, to dress up.

At least, this time, he was wearing boxers. Sighing, he turned around to get himself some clothes.

"Don't tell me you have terrorised the local population again?" Exclaimed his neighbour.

"You wanna fight, flame brain?" Yelled Gray.

Even though they knew each other since childhood, Natsu was one of the only person who could make him loose his temper. In fact, every time they saw each other, which means pretty much every day, he wanted to fight him. And that's what he did until one of their other neighbours, Erza, woke up, screaming in her terrifying way to stop.

Well, they weren't really neighbours. They were in fact all sharing a humongous domain called Fairy Tail. A wealthy merchant had made it built for people who, like him, didn't have a family anymore. Makarov Dreyar was the one that took care of him since childhood as for many other resident of the domain. Gray didn't even understand how he could put up with all of them for so many years, but he was more than grateful.

After the fight, the young man had to dress up again, walking to his workshop without getting stared at for good this time. He installed himself before a block of stone outside, deciding to enjoy the sunlight, ready to start a new sculpture. The young man had received an order the day before without any specific indication. The customer only asked for something to embellish his home, giving him carte blanche. Those kind of orders where Gray's favorites, letting his imagination roaming freely. Gathering his ideas, he started of by sculpting a rough silhouette, then detaled gradually every part. He was refining beautiful wings when a movement attracted his attention.

A young woman was standing before him. She must've been about his age and, he had to admit, her curves were very generous. Beside, she looked a little like the fairy he was engraving in the stone at the moment. Her large bleu eyes where also adding something to her charm. He greeted her with a nod then put his attention back on his work. He barely had time to inscribe a new detail before she engaged a conversation.

"Juvia thinks you're very talented!" She marveled.

"I guess you are Juvia?" Asked Gray, refereeing to the odd way she was expressing herself.

"Yes! And you Sir...?"

"Gray, just Gray", he insisted, judging all those formalities unnecessary.

"Juvia is happy to meet you Si... Gray", she smiled.

Gray went back to his work but the girl's look never left him. The young man knew he often attracted women's attention. However, normally the stares were one sided, the young artist simply ignoring them. But now, he couldn't completely forget Juvia's presence, her eyes locked on his hands working on the stone.

"It's gorgeous" she let out. "How can Gray make such beautiful things?"

He continued his work as if she said nothing, then finally answered.