Chapter 7

In the pouring rain I turned the corner. I had reached the back of the library. And I gasped at what I saw.

Ellie was sitting on a bench that was almost out of view from everyone. And she was crying. But not like what I saw when her mom yelled her name. Her eyes were waterfalls.

I ran over to her, and sat down next to her. She turned her head away and buried her face in her hands.

"Ellie, Ellie, Ellie..." I whispered her name. I hugged her and rested her face on my chest. One of my hands was on the back of her head, and the other was on her back.

Slowly, Ellie pulled her hands away from her face, and wrapped her arms around me. Her makeup was smudged, and her soaking clothes stuck to her. But she was still beautiful. She kept crying, and it pained me to watch.

"Will you feel better if you tell someone?" I asked, pulling Ellie closer. Sometimes when I felt sad, some of the pain would go away when I talked about it.

"M-maybe." Ellie said between tears, hiccups, and cries. "B-but I just m-met you." Ellie shivered.

"It's okay if you don't want to talk about it." I whispered to Ellie and tried to warm her up.

"N-no. I think you're r-right. I'll tell you. Promise not to tell anyone? Not a soul."

"I promise."