Chapter 18

When I woke up, the first thing I thought about was Ellie. Was she okay? Was she dead? How much blood did she loose? Where will she be buried? No. I couldn't think about her death. She is alive. She must be.

Then I looked around me. I was in a hospital room. A hospital waiting room. It had that clean, weird, hospital smell. I checked my phone, which was luckily still in my pocket. 7:21 AM. No wonder why no one was in line.

I walked up to the receptionist, who looked like she was sleeping. I don't blame her, being a receptionist would not be my first choice of job. I wonder if she was the same lady who helped me out last night?

"Um, excuse me?" I expected it to take a long time for the lady to wake up, but she sat up really quick.

"Oh, hi. Where you that guy who came in with that girl? The bloody one?" The lady looked really tired.

"Yeah..."

"Okay, follow me. I am so, so sorry for your loss." She looked at me with pity, and started to lead me down hallways and hallways and hallways.

But those words struck me harder than the lady thought. Ellie, w-was dead? "Did she die?" I asked quicker than I meant to.

"Oh, well I think if she's not already dead then she will die. She lost a lot of blood."

"Oh, thank the lords!" At least I had hope.

Finally, the lady motioned for me to enter a room, and she walked away. I felt like I was about to puke. I assumed this was the room where I would see Ellie, either alive or dead. I wanted to stand there forever, but I knew that would get me nowhere. I slowly, slowly, opened up the door.