Ch. 3: Gazebo

Chapter 3—Gazebo

On Saturday morning, Mom woke me up to try on my top picks for the party that night. It was the annual event for Coventry and Belmont Inc. Potential clients, “frenemy” business executives, and random plus-ones would be among the attendees.

“Can’t I have another hour of sleep? All we have planned is the party, and—”

“No arguing, Kassandra,” she warned.

“Ooh, you used my full first name. I’m shaking in my boots now,” I said, getting out of bed.

“You’re not wearing boots,” she commented.

“It’s just a saying.”

“Since when? Shouldn’t you only use that saying if you’re actually wearing boots?”

I looked at her, finally giving up because she wouldn’t understand my sarcasm.

“Never mind, Mom. Um, just give me ten minutes, and I’ll be downstairs.”

“Alright, Jeannie Mae is waiting in the parlor,” she informed me.

“The parlor? Are you from the 19th Century or something? It’s the living room.”

“No, it’s the parlor,” she replied. “What’s the point of learning old-fashioned terms if you can’t use them? Now, stop analyzing my vocabulary and just get ready. We can’t keep Jeannie waiting.”

“Fine,” I said as she walked out of my bedroom.

As I walked into the living room, I overhead Jeannie Mae compliment Clark.

“So you’re the temporary butler. You’re quite easy on the eyes.”

“Thank you. You look quite lovely yourself,” Clark replied, pouring her another cup of tea.

I walked into the room and let out a fake cough.

“Kasey, darling,” Jeannie greeted.

I gave her a hug. “Hey JM, I see you brought the outfits.”

“What kind of a best friend slash designer would I be if I didn’t personally bring you your outfits for the annual party tonight?”

“Thanks for always giving me the best outfits.”

“Of course, now, let’s get started and have you try them on. I have the first outfit hanging on the privacy screen.”

I stepped behind the paneled screen in the corner and tried on the first outfit, a knee-length strapless champagne dress with a sequin design down the front. Its designated shoes were a pair of gold and champagne ankle-strapped pumps.

I stepped out from behind the screen and twirled.

“Gorgeous,” Jeannie said. “This one was your first choice, right?”

I nodded. “The moment I saw it, I wanted it.”

“Just like you wanted me,” Clark teased.

“I’m sorry. What’s that supposed to mean?” Mom asked him.

“Nothing Ana. It was just a joke. I’m sorry.”

Mom shrugged and started observing the other dress choices that were hanging on a nearby rack, while I glared at Clark who returned my displeasure with a knowing smirk. He mouthed the words, “You love me.”

I suddenly groaned out of frustration, which startled Jeannie and my mother.

“Kasey, what was that noise?” Mom asked. “Is something bothering you?”