Ch. 6: Love Notes

Chapter 6—Love Notes

The next morning at breakfast, Clark gave me a knowing smile during breakfast. He served me a plate of pancakes along with a can of whipped cream.

“Sugary confections this early, I see,” Mom said, glancing at the red can of deliciousness.

I smiled. “I guess it is.”

“You seem quite chipper today,” Dad observed.

“Indeed, why are you so much happier this morning?” Mom asked.

I drew a whipped cream heart on the top pancake.

“Now I know,” Dad said.

“Love is in the air,” Mom chirped.

“You and Dylan must be on cloud nine right now,” Dad said, sipping his coffee.

“Uh, yeah, me and Dylan,” I stated.

I quickly glanced at Clark and gave him a small smile.

Mom sighed. “Clark—”

Oh no, did she notice? I was trying to be subtle.

“Yes, Ana?”

“Can I have some more coffee please?” she requested.

“Of course,” Clark said.

I let out a soft sigh of relief as he poured her more coffee.

As usual, we had to go to the office. This time, we all left together. Dad insisted that Clark ride with him. As a result, Mom rode with me.

“I saw that mini panic attack at breakfast,” she said simply.

“What?” I asked, backing out of the outdoor garage.

“Don’t act like you don’t know. That look on your face when I asked Clark for more coffee came right after you gave him a flirty face. You may not know this, but I am quite the observer.”

“Are you angry?” I asked.

“I should’ve known you weren’t sick yesterday,” she said.

“What makes you think that?”

“Don’t play dumb,” she replied. “Whatever happened when you came home needs to be wrapped up as soon as possible. Go on and exchange sweet glances and love notes with Clark, but let me remind you that you are to be wed to a Belmont, whether you like it or not.”

“You’re saying I have no choice.”

“I’m saying that marrying Dylan is for the best. You’ll have a way better future with Dylan than you would have with Clark.”

“Based on what, your predictions? Maybe you’re basing it off of your financial reports,” I responded bitterly.

“Kasey, we’re just doing what’s best for you.”

“What’s best for me or for you and Dad?” I asked. “Maybe it’s best for the Belmonts, but I don’t understand how I’m supposed to be happy. I’m not getting anything out of this.”

“You get a successful company and a successful marriage. You’ll realize it soon enough. Clark is just a temporary distraction.”

“Does Dad know?” I asked.

“Your father would attack Clark in a heartbeat if he knew, so no, he doesn’t.”

“What happens if I don’t marry Dylan?”

“Do you really want to ponder over the consequences?” Mom inquired.

I remained silent.

“I thought so,” she stated. “You’ll get over Clark, just like I got over the family driver when I was your age.”