Ch. 10: Butler?! {Finale/Epilogue}

Chapter 10—Butler?! {Finale/Epilogue}

“Benjamin, you’re back!” I squealed.

“Kasey, it’s good to see you again. I heard that a lot has happened since I left.”

“You’d be correct.”

“Well, I brought a surprise with me, but I think it’s something you’ve been expecting.”

Clark ran through the door and pulled me into a hug.

“I am so glad you’re here,” I told him.

“I’m happy and nervous at the same time. I don’t think your parents will be ecstatic about my presence.”

“Don’t worry about them.”

“Where are your parents?” Benjamin asked.

“They’re waiting in the living room,” I replied.

“Then we don’t want to keep them waiting.”

Mom and Dad gestured all of us to sit down.

“It’s a pleasure to have you back, Benjamin,” Mom said.

“It’s nice to be back,” he replied. “But we do have some things to discuss.”

“True, we do,” Dad agreed, quickly glancing at Clark who was sitting next to me.

“As you may have heard, Kasey and Clark developed a…relationship while you were away,” Mom stated.

“Clark told me everything,” Benjamin stated.

“We need to know if you are for or against them being together,” Dad said.

“Honestly, I have no problem with them being together. I raised my son in the best way I could manage, and Kasey is a lovely girl that I’ve gotten to know very well over the years.”

“Our primary concern is the safety of the company and all of our accounts,” Mom said.

“Ana, I assure you that I want nothing to do with the company,” Clark explained. “I studied to be a doctor, and that’s what I plan on doing for the rest of my life. I’m not a businessman.”

“But think of what people will think,” Dad said.

“Who cares what they think? Have a press release and explain the issue if you have to, but at the end of the day, nobody else’s opinions matter,” I argued.

“I think we’ll have to return back to this issue. Let’s move on to a different matter,” he countered.

“Benjamin, when can you come back to work?” Mom asked.

“Actually, I wanted to discuss my retirement,” Benjamin replied. “I’m not getting any younger, and after vacationing with my wife, I realized that I’ve been away from my own family for way too long.”

“Aw, you’re not coming back?” I said sadly.

“I can still visit, and you can visit me,” he replied. “But I think that I’ve overstayed my welcome here.”

“You’re always welcome here,” Dad said. “But if you wish to retire as our butler, I can’t stop you. We’ll fill out paperwork later, and you can properly resign.”

“Thank you.”

“So does that mean we’re without a butler again?” I asked.

“I’m afraid so,” Mom answered.

“I volunteer to show the ropes to the new employee,” Benjamin mentioned.

“Now, it’s back to the subject of me and Clark,” I insisted.