Chapter Three

*servants pov*

I was woken by a small squek that signaled my door opening. At first, i thought it was the Alpha, come to give me a beating for forgetting to set up some small thing at the party, or whatever, but that thought flew straight out of my head when the most wonderous thing filled my nose.

It was a combination strong coffee and freshly cut wood chips: my two favourite smells. And with that aroma filling my mind, i lay there and waited for the precious mate i had been hoping for, to creep over and pick me up, taking me far away from this place.

And then i heard the door creek back shut again, leaving me alone once more.

I couldn't believe it. My mate had taken one look at me and left. What was wrong with me?

Oh, who am i kidding. I always knew that he wouldn't want me.

I mean, who would want something as pathetic as a servant that came from a slaughtered pack. Still, the thought of him taking me away was what had kept me alive all this year, and now that he didn't want me........

I buried my head in my pillow and burst into tears. I had never felt this destroyed in my life, especially over a man i had never met. Well, i guess that is mates for you.

A little voice in my head began to correct me. "You have no mate now" she said. And then even though she wasn't real, i nodded my head at her.

I had to face the reality.

I was mateless.

*******************

*The next morning*

"Wakey wakey, servant of mine."

James slid into my room, apperently still tipsy from last nights party. When i heard him shutting the door, i made no move to get up. I couldn't, even if i tried.

I felt like i was laying under a ton of bricks, each one heavier than the alast, all bearing the word "rejected". On top of all that, i felt hollow inside, like nothing would ever make me feel better.

No, i was not getting up anytime soon.

"Servant?" I heard James's voice waver a bit. He seemed...uncertain, as if he wasn't sure what to do.

I then heard a shuffling and he sat on the end of my bed, sttaring over at me with....was that concern?

"Why arn't you responding? Girl, what's wrong?"

I was shocked into silence for a minute. Was James actually showing me concern? Or was it just a game. Yeah, that must be it.

I decided i should respond to him. "It's my mate."

"Your mate?" I heard his voice darken, and he was obviously retuning to his doucebag self.

"Yeah, he, ummm, he doesn't want me."

As i uttered those words, i felt a tear slip down my cheek and fall onto my pillow.

There was silence from the end of the bed, before James reached over and awkwardly patted me. Was he trying to comfort me?

But before i could figure the answer out, he stood up and walked to the door.

"I'll leave you to it. And...take the day off. I think we can take care of ourselves for one day."

And then he was gone, leaving me to wonder.

What the fuck was that???