Chapter 2 - New Akatsuki

Emiko pov:

Sasuke and I remained outside the hideout a while after he had made his decision about destroying Konoha for all that they had done to the Uchiha Clan and Itachi. I wasn't happy with his decision but I knew that this was not the time to speak about it, all the more because I had to be careful about Madara who had quite the influence on Sasuke at the moment.

I was silent as Sasuke sat atop the bones of a large creature that had been slain just outside the hideout - he was gazing up at the sky lost in thought and my thoughts wandered too, though it was all fleeting. Our thoughts were interrupted when we heard Madara approach.

"What are you doing? The preparations are already done," he said.

Sasuke did not answer his question and merely spoke of what he was thinking about at the moment. "When I look at the full moon, it reminds me of that night, and suddenly, the things I tried so hard to forget about Itachi come rushing into my mind. All these emotions are surfacing from my once locked-up heart - I remember that he was crying that time. I thought I had imagined it and I never understood why he would be crying after being so cruel. It looks like you told me the truth." 

Yes, Itachi was crying on the day of the massacre. I had been afraid of him in that moment, out of instinct, but the pain and tears in his eyes had been clear to me. Being the soft-hearted man he was, Itachi had not been able to hide his tears from Sasuke either, it seems, but had not given the chance for Sasuke to doubt his lies. The thought of everything once again had my chest constricting painfully tightly.

"So, what will you do? Will you take Itachi's eyes?" asked Madara.

"Sasuke, lets go inside," I said, not wishing for Madara to manipulate him more than he already had. As much as taking Itachi's eyes would make Sasuke stronger, I did not think that it would do the latter any good. I worried that it would only complicate matters more than what it already was, and perhaps lead Sasuke astray even more.

"I cannot follow Itachi's wishes. I will get revenge and revive the clan in the way I want to," he answered, silently saying that he would not take Itachi's eyes...for now.

He jumped off the bones and we stepped into the hideout whilst leaving Madara behind. We made our way to the common room where Sasuke's teammates were, however, stalled a moment when I called to Sauske. He turned to look at me, his eyes soft and affectionate - it had been that way ever since he had heard the truth, and not the cold stoniness that was in them when he spoke to anyone else.

"I hope you're fully aware of and thought through what you've decided to do," I said. "I will not stop you, because my only job is to watch over you and protect you. But you should know that you have to look at the truth in more than one perspective...more than just the way Madara has told you about it. Madara is not like the person you think he is and I would not trust him much if I were you."

Sasuke frowned slightly, perhaps confused about my words. I could not tell him more though because he had to understand some things by himself. He had been manipulated all his life, first by Itachi's lies and now by Madara, but he needed to learn to think for himself, to find out the truth and what was right and wrong by himself. I could only attempt to give him a nudge in the right direction.

Regarding him with a small smile, I stepped closer to him and caressed his face once. "You look so much like him, Sasuke."

He returned my smile at that and held out his hand for me to take. "Ne chan, walk with me the way we used to." 

With a widening smile and a nod, I held his hand and we walked to the common room. Our entrance gained the attention of Sasuke's teammates and also had Karin fuming when she noticed us holding hands. Suigetsu seemed merely curious as he had been since he met me while Jugo was uninterested for the most part.