Chapter 5 - Emotional

Emiko pov:

The sound of the rain was soothing, and so was watching it from the small window of the hideout we had made into our temporary residence since two weeks. We were all still recuperating from our fight with Bee san, though it was more so Jugo and Suigetsu who needed the extended time.

The Jinchuriki had been a tough opponent to deal with but was truly a warm hearted person. I was more than grateful to have been understood by him, to be seen for what I truly wanted at heart, and be given silent support for it. No matter what Sasuke decided to do, the road ahead of us was a tough one, bumpy and full of obstacles that we would have to overcome. It wasn't anything new for me though and I wasn't afraid or hesitant to tread a rough path again.

Post the talk with Sasuke, we had not spoken much. It wasn't that we didn't have anything to speak about with each other, but it was nearly as if we were avoiding each other. Well, perhaps not avoiding, but we didn't seem to be comfortable speaking with each other because we knew that we would have to speak more of what we had spoken over lunch the other day. It had made me mildly worried - I was worried that Sasuke was angry and would drift away from me and from his home. I was afraid that I had only fueled his rage and made him reckless.

The sound of Karin and Suigetsu bickering broke me from my thoughts. Karin had recovered for the most part and so had Suigetsu but the latter was still in his tank of nutritional water. He had more than enough energy to pick fights with Karin, and whine because we hadn't retrieved his neck cleaver, and it was beginning to get a little annoying. Jugo still had the appearance of a child and I wasn't sure when he would return to normal.

Sighing, I stood and headed to the room they were in. Sasuke was there too and I spared him a glance before looking at Jugo who, for the first time, took the initiative to interrupt Karin's and Suigetsu's bickering, "That's enough, you two. Break it up."

"Oi, Sasuke, do you think we will really get the power of the Bijuu?"

Suigetsu's question made me scoff mentally - it was obvious that Madara wouldn't give us the power of the Bijuu just like that, even if he had said so himself. Besides, I was sure that he had already realized that we hadn't caught the full Jinchuriki and would consider it a failure on our part.

"Who knows? We don't really need it though," Sasuke answered.

Karin didn't seem to understand why he thought so but I knew that he had gained confidence, perhaps more than he should have, on his Mangekyou that he had learnt to control quite well after the fight with the Hachibi. He was unaware of the repercussions of using his ocular power though, and it was only made more obvious when he reached for a glass of water only to hit the rim clumsily and make the glass tip over. It fell to the ground with a clatter, his eyes going slightly wide in surprise.

"Sasuke, what's wrong?" asked Karin.

It was a brief moment before Sasuke recovered enough to answer her. Covering his eyes with his hands, surely feeling a strain in them, he said, "It's nothing."

"Sasuke, we need to talk," I said. He met my gaze, narrowing his own slightly.

He seemed reluctant but stood and stepped to me. We left the room and went into a room down the corridor. I closed the door so we could have some privacy when we spoke but I remained with my back turned to Sasuke as I thought of how to begin our conversation.

"What did you want to speak about, Nee chan?" Sasuke asked, his voice soft. Unexpectedly, it made my eyes prickle a moment.

Inhaling deeply to keep composure, I turned to him and asked, "What happened just now, Sasuke?"