Chapter 3

Haley woke up due to her alarm. She checked the time and saw she had just enough time to prepare before class.

She quickly got up and tidy up her bed. She took a quick shower and change into a black long sleeved shirt, grey jeans and a blue scarf. She pinned the school badge onto the left side of her shirt and took her bag. After grabbing a sandwhich, she walked outside and went on her way to school.

Her schedule was already sent to her through her PDA and when she got to her classroom, she saw her teacher by the door. The teacher greeted her with a smile and told her to wait.

"Good morning class. Today we will have a new student joining us. Please come in."

That's my queue. She walked into class and greeted the class with a smile. "My name is Angelina Haley. I hope to get along with everyone." She said as she bowed. She was then told to take a seat and she did nearby the window.

After homeroom was finished, they had a free period. It's the first day of school and on top of that, it's Friday, so students were allowed to do whatever they want.

Some went to town, others just hang around the school. Haley walked down the halls and went to the library. She expected there would be someone else there, though to her surprise, it was only the librarian.

"Oh hello there. You may call me Ms. Flora." The librarian stated. "Are you a new student?"

Haley nodded. "My name is Angelina Haley."

"May I call you Angel, then?" She asked. Haley nodded. Just what I thought.

She went around the history section and found a rather interesting book. She went back to the tables and began reading. Ms. Flora went over and seemed quite surprised at her book of choice. "The history of Gaists? No one has taken an interest in that one before."

Haley smiled. "I plan to work with the GCG when I grow up. Or sooner if it's possible. I'd be a navigator if I could, or maybe even a Gaist Crusher."

"My, you are quite ambitious aren't you?" Ms. Flora laughed. "I hope your dreams come through then."

"Thank you."

~~~~~

"So yeah, she let me borrow that book." Haley said as she made hot cocoa for both her and her guest.

"You have a way of warming up to everyone." Shiren said with a smile.

Haley came over and sat down beside him, tray in hand. She placed the cups on the coffee table and placed the tray on the other side.

"Still, you think I'll make it as part of the GCG?" Haley asked, nervously.

"As a navigator, yes. As a Gaist Crusher, who knows." Shiren replied bluntly. "As far as I jnow, there hadn't been any girl Gaist Crushers yet."

"Well, there's at least a bit of hope there." Haley said with a small laugh.

"Your brother is... Was apart of the GCG. As a soldier. Also, Director Volcan knows who you are. I'd say that you have a big chance at this." He said with a smile.

"I suppose so." She looked out the window and sighed. "Dad's coming to visit..."

"So soon?" He asked.

Haley shrugged. "He said it'll be monthly, but..." She let out another sigh. "Each visit will last a week so yeah..."

Shiren sighed, taking a sip of hot cocoa. "Well, it's a short time if you think about it. But that's pretty constant timing too."

"He doesn't like you very much." She stated bluntly.

"I know." He nodded, putting down his cup. "Ever since that day, a lot of people hated me. Can't say I blame them. I sort of hate me too."

Haley snapped and grabbed his collar with both hands. "Don't say that! It wasn't your fault! I was there! I saw everything! You can't blame yourself for any of it!"

Shiren strained a smile. "Even if you say that..."

Haley tensed and let go. "I know... The people won't listen." She let out a sigh. "I hate adults. They're all always so quick to judge."

"And to think the presidents and prime ministers of the world are all aiming for World Peace..." He stated with a smirk.

Haley bursted out laughing. "Life is filled with lies..."

Shiren shook his head. "Whether we hate them or not, whether we want to or not, we'll turn to adults one day."

Haley stopped laughing and lowered her head. "I guess..." Her shoulders dropped and her face turned to a pout. "I hate growing up."

"A lot of people say that." Shiren replied. "Not a lot of people want to accept reality, you know. No matter what they say they are doing, they can't hide the fact that they do things for their own gain. That's probably humanity's problem number 1." He shook his head. "Well, as a GCG member, I can't question politics. My jobs is to keep a look out on Gaists. That's all."

"There hasn't been much activity lately, right?" Haley asked. "I haven't seen any Gaists appear so far..."

"Yeah well, it might seem that way." He shrugged. He took out his piccolo and held it up. "If there was a Gaist near town, I'd use this to lure it away."

"People mistaken you for summoning Gaists by playing it though..." Haley stated.

Shiren shrugged. "Let them. It's a lot easier to keep people safe when they prefer to stay away from you."

Haley looked down. "But still..."

He placed a hand on her shoulder, making her look up. He smiled. "It's fine. I really don't mind."

Even so... The pain was still clear through his eyes.