Chapter 8

Sand is the wolf above

Sand is the wolf above. (Enlarged)

What was he supposed to do? Stand there and watch the rest of his pack get their meal? There was no way he was going to let that happen!

"Stay calm, furball. We'll be hunting in no time, as long as you keep your claws out of everyone's way." Ember scoffed, making Adder want to claw her ears off even more. The moon was high above them, only a small sliver. "Sure, that'll be easy." He retorted quietly. 
The rest of them on the hunt were Alpha, Claw, Clover, Seed, Cherry, Rain, Tree, Birch, Snow, Dusk, Flower, and Sky. Alpha was in the front of the group, Sky, Dusk and Flower on each of the other sides of the younger wolves, and Frost right behind both of the youngest wolves, making Adder a little uncomfortable to speak to Ember, as he knew Frost would tell Fox and Berry if he was rude the slightest bit.

"Adder, Ember, come over here. I want you two to spot our prey." Adder saw Ember stiffen beside him when they weaved their way to the front of the pack. "U-us?" Ember stumbled over her words when she spoke to Alpha.

Adder rolled his eyes. "No, that deer over there." He beckoned his head to where a small doe walked about near the edge of the lake, sipping slowly with two fawns splashing each other in the shore. They were about eight tree lengths away right then.

Ember gave him a dramatic glare. "Well spotted, Adder!" Pine praised. Adder shrugged, thinking it was just nothing. "Should we chase them?" Cherry moved to stand beside Adder. "Let's go!" Tree barked impatiently, shaking his fur. "Not yet, we have to close in on our prey," Dusk ordered, and the rest of the pack followed. 

Forming a circle with Ember and Adder behind Alpha and Frost, still among the trees, they closed in when the doe lifted her head up. The circle was just wide enough for her to leap between Sky and Frost. Adder gasped. The doe had almost hit him in the face as it flew by. As if instinct, the pack chased after it.

"Come on!" He growled to Ember, who was wide-eyed. "She's never seen a deer or what?" He muttered under his breath. The two soft fangs chased after their pack and the prey they were pursuing. They managed to get close enough to tell that the two fawns were taken down because of the slow speed, and the mother was keeping a good pace ahead of them. Summoning his strength, Adder pushed himself forward. He had never run this fast before, and his legs were screaming. 

He could see the doe perfectly now. Only Alpha Pine and Cherry were in front of him at the moment, being very fast. Adder was panting, trying to keep up with the deer when he saw Ember race past him. Whoa.  
Like lightning, Ember leaped on top of the doe's back and bit down on the spine. Adder went for the legs as the doe stumbled, and the rest of the pack leaped onto it too. 

"Good job!" 

"Way to go!"

"I can't believe you did that! Cherry couldn't even keep up!"

"How did you leap so far? Must be because of her MountainPack heritage!"

Adder didn't hear one single congratulation to him. Not even from his own mother. All for Ember. Ember. Ember, Ember, Ember.

Adder left the group of his packmates grumpily. How could they congratulate her and not him? He helped too! Angry, Adder stormed away from the pack and began heading home. Why should he help carry the catch? It's not like he was getting any credit for catching it anyway.

"Where are you going?" Snow asked, making him turn around. He sighed. "Home. Maybe Misty won't be talking about her." Adder flicked his ears at the attention seeking brat. "You helped kill that deer as much as she did," Snow whispered, coming forward to brush pelts with him. 

"All I did was attack its legs, and that didn't do anything." He growled. Snow smiled at him. "It takes a whole pack to bring down a catch, Adder. Come on, let's help carry the-" 

"No! I'm sick of having to be stuck with her! She's annoying! She doesn't know how to do anything, and-"

Frost's blue eyes blazed behind Snow. She heard everything. Beside her was Ember, face crestfallen. Adder whimpered inside. He was in a lot of trouble, and he made the current star of attention sad. He was definitely doomed. 

"Adder, you apologize right now." The stern words came out of no other than Snow's mouth. She was furious. She was just so kind just a few seconds ago, what happened? Then it hit him. I upset her, that's what happened. 

"Do it!" Snow barked. Adder nervously stepped forward and stood a paw length away from Ember. "Sorry." He muttered crossly, a growl creeping up his throat. 

"Let's go home," Alpha Pine called, helping the long growls carry the prey back to the den clearing. 

Yay! A chapter finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy eighth chapter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!