Chapter 9

Blue is the wolf above (Enlarged)

"You've grown a lot since you were a pup." Cave murmured, trying to make awkward conversation.

Adder nodded, looking at himself in the process. He had in fact almost tripled his size, and he was only a paw shorter than Cave at the shoulder. Adder continued walking. "I hate dawn patrols," Adder muttered.

After Cave didn't say anything, Adder spoke instead. "So, why did you choose me? To go on the patrol, I mean." Jumping over a log, Cave answered once on the other side. Adder leaped right after. "Because, I trust you." 

Adder furrowed his eyes but didn't reply. He didn't ask why, because if he had Cave's trust, he planned to keep it. "So what border are we heading to first?" He asked, sniffing the air. It smelled a bit like place he had been for the hunt the previous night. It tired him to think about the night before, hunting, and then sleeping for what felt like a heartbeat before he had to wake up again and start the patrol with Cave.

"Figure it out, you should know anyway," Cave replied, giving a bad answer. Adder sighed but continued following Cave's lead on a somewhat padded-on trail. "Those pawprints you see on the trail, those are from countless generations." Cave murmured as if reading Adder's thoughts.

Suddenly, a strong reek filled his nose. It wasn't familiar at all, but it did have a small wolfish scent to it. But it also smelled quite different than a wolf. 

Cave stopped walking forward. Adder did the same, afraid he might endanger himself. "I smell it too," He whispered. "Fox." Adder gave a confused look. Fox wasn't here. He means the animal, stupid! "Smells like a lot, too," Adder commented, the black wolf dipping his head and walking forward slowly, sniffing the ground. Adder glanced at his gray paws that were sitting in the prints below him. Looking back up, he saw Cave rear back unexpectedly. "Run!" Cave yowled loudly, causing birds to flutter away, chirping alarm calls. 

Adder went to turn around, but too late, a fox jumped out of the undergrowth and onto Cave. Another appeared, and then another, the third which jumped onto Adder. He had no experience in fighting except with his friends. And that never hurt anybody.  

But, fortunately, as pointed out a bit earlier, Adder had almost tripled in size. Taking Ember's share of food must've paid off, finally. Adder was bigger and stronger than the fox. Fighting it off, he threw it into a tree with a thud. One of the foxes barked, "Rose!" I didn't know wolves could understand fox. I didn't know I could.

"Focus, Petal!" A male voice growled, battering at Cave's ears. Adder howled a battle cry he had never heard before, which sounded a little frightening even to him. He leaped onto the male fox that had spoken to "Petal." Easily, Adder shoved the male and Petal, but only the vixen ran away with a whimper, who of which ran straight to Rose and dragged her away. All was left was the todd. Cave stood up after the remaining fox growled, standing on his paws after Adder had shoved him and Petal.