Chapter 10

Rain is the wolf above

The gray she-wolf sighed playfully. She looked at Storm kindly. "You'll be made a Soft fang soon," She promised.

"You'll be the next one to be up-ranked," She continued. "If you aren't, that means everyone's dead." The she wolf-smiled, and Storm smiled back. "I guess you're right." He murmured, laying down and resting his head on his paws.
"Hey, Ember!" Ember turned to where her name was called, and she saw Adder. Storm stood up, flanking her and growling lightly. "Storm, stop it," She whispered, padding towards Adder.

Although Ember told Storm to stop growling at the annoying he-wolf, she didn't necessarily like him, she just wasn't rude.
"What?" She asked, hoping he would suddenly apologize for being a constant thorn in her pelt, but knowing it wouldn't happen.

"Crow is taking us on patrol." He informed glumly. Ember had stopped smiling. "Now?"
"Yes." Adder murmured, the dusk sunrays glowing on his soft brown and gray pelt. He's grown a lot stronger. Ember looked around for Crow, distracting herself.
"She's just telling Sun she's going out," Adder said, and she nodded awkwardly.
"Why are you going? Haven't you had enough of patrols for today?" She asked, mentioning the previous fox attack.
"I'm fine." He somewhat growled back, "Berry said I was fine. My leg just needs to be stretched a little, nothing bad." Adder's voice was rough now, in a defensive mood.

Ember wanted to bark back something along the lines of "I'm not trying to make you feel bad, you rock head." But she knew that would only cause more issues.
Especially when Fox and Berry are always breathing down our necks. Speaking of which, where were they? Ember looked around, and she saw that Fox had his eyes trained straight at her.

She rolled her eyes as she waited for the black she wolf. Crow came padding gleefully towards them with a smile. "Alright, let's go." Adder and she shared a bit of a glance with curiosity at Crow's behavior. 

All three wolves padded away from the camp and the cave. "So, how many patrols have you been on before?" Crow turned her gaze at the she wolf. "Oh, uh-" 

"I've been on one before but-" Adder was saying proudly, but Crow had ignored him.

"Two." She said, noticing Adder glare at her, without Crow seeing, for stealing his glory. His green eyes were gazing steadily into her own light green eyes. For a moment, Ember thought she hadn't seen a trace of hatred in it, but he snapped his head away before she could be certain.

"Well, Ember, if you've been on patrol before, what side of the border are we heading to?" Ember racked her brain and sniffed the air. "The lake, by MoorPack." She answered, glancing at Adder for reassurance, but the he-wolf was looking the other way. 
"Good!" Crow barked excitedly, turning to look over at a muscular Adder whose strides were just as long as possibly Ember herself. How in the moon did he grow so much? By stealing your food, rabbit brain! Stop admiring him!