Chapter 1: The Flame

Burning Desire

Chapter 1: The Flame

I remember that day I probably would never forget it none of the digidestined would. It was a dark day for us all. We were back for maybe a month when we saw on the news the sad news. I was with Kouichi. My dad was watching the news when it said someone pulled out a gun in some place I really didn't care that much about it but what happened next was what got me.

"The man that pulled the gun was stopped but sadly not after people got shot. One of these was a boy trying to protect his brother. His name was Takuya Kanabara." Wait did they just say what I thought they said.

"K-Kouichi did they say what I just think they said." My dad looked at us weird he never got to meet Takuya. I fell to my knees. Takuya was my first friend and my first best friend. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have met my twin Kouichi. I owe him a lot and now I can't repay him. "Taky is gone."

"Don't be sad Kouji. Taky wouldn't want you to be sad." It has been a year since then. I have tried to move on but we were partners. We got so close I really do miss him. I wish I could see him again. That goggle-head idiots smile I always felt good when I saw that smile. The day started like any other boring day. When I got a familiar text. Would you like to begin. I clicked yes mostly because I might feel like I'm close to Takuya again. I made it to Shibuya station everyone was already there. I was the last one I bet they weren't surprised after all they say closed myself off again after Takuya died. I just walked right passed them and got on the train. For some reason I felt something was watching me. I just shook it off. What I didn't notice when I got on the train was there was another train in the station. Everyone got on the train I was on. I was always second in command next to Takuya I guess that means I am leader now. I sighed. The train started moving I looked out the window when I saw a boy in the other train. I had to do a double take but it was too late. I thought I saw Takuya but I know he is good as dead. Someone that gets shot square in the chest just doesn't survive that.

"Kouji, are sure you wanna come I know this is hard on us but I know it was really hard for you." Izumi was talking but I just glared at her. Only two people can resist the glare Kouichi and you probably guessed it Taky. I seem to talk a lot about Takuya maybe I cared more about him than I thought.

"We're going back Taky just wished you were here with us." I will always be there Light. I looked around I thought I heard something. The voice sounded familiar yet different. We arrived at our destination after hours of sitting on a very uncomfortable Trailmon. We were right in front of Ophanimon's castle. "Well she brought us here last time." I sighed I knew I shouldn't have come.

"Welcome heroes it has been along time since we've last met. Where is Takuya I thought he would come." We all looked away. "Did you guys have a fight. I thought he liked It here."

"He can't come. Even if he wanted" She looked confused. Of course she hasn't been in our world she doesn't know what happened. "H-he died. Someone in our world killed him." She looked taken back. "Can we just get this done and over with so I get away from here." I heard Kouichi sigh.

"Kouji might not show it but he took Takuya's death the hardest." We followed Ophanimon into her castle we were led to a garden. I would say it was one of the prettiest places I had ever been. In the center was huge fire. "Wow are you guys having a bonfire." I gave Kouichi a look. I guess if I took on the role of the leader Kouichi took the role of the jokester.

"This is why we called you here." A flame we were brought back because of a flame. "We don't know what it is. It just came crashing down from the sky. We are protecting it for now because we think it might have a hidden ability. We have special container to contain it but it is avoiding it." So what do you want us to do god it's like she is rambling on and on. Kouji. What it's that voice again. It sounds like a child's voice. A scared child. Kouji please come to me. I didn't notice I started walking to the flame. It was like it was calling out to me. I'm scared Kouji don't let them hurt me. I reached out to the flame and it seemed like it was reaching for me too. I'm scared what is going on I just remember...

"KOUJI!!!" I snapped out of the trance I was in. I saw Kouichi looking at me worried. Everyone else was looking at me weird. I just realized how close I was to the flame. It reached out for me again and caught my shirt on fire. I jumped back patting out the flame on my shoulder. AHHH! That hurt Kouji. "Kouji what is going on? Why did you get so close to that flame it is dangerous. It could have burned you." I would never hurt Kouji, At least I don't want to hurt him.

"Wait, can't you hear the voice?"

"What voice Kouji? The only person that has been talking has been Ophanimon." I look back at the flame. They can't hear me. Kouji can you please save me. I reach out to the flame again this time not in the trance this time. "Kouji what are doing? I know you have been down ever since Taky's death but that doesn't mean you should burn yourself alive." I put my arm into the flame. It didn't burn. I smiled at the flame.

"He won't hurt me I can sense it." They all looked shocked. They probably thought I was suicidal doing that but the flame didn't seem dangerous. I noticed Bokomon run in.

"Lady Ophanimon, Lady Ophanimon, Agunimon has been reawakened." Wait, Agunimon that's impossible that was Taky's spirit. Everyone else looked as surprised as I was. We started to run to wherever Agunimon was when the flame came at me again. Don't Leave. I covered my arms across my face to block the flame when it stopped in front of me. Wait, do you think I will hurt you. Kouji why are you afraid me. The voice started to cry.

"Fascinating it seems the flame won't burn you Kouji but it wants to be near you." The flame circled around me I was nervous and I think it sensed it. It backed away. I don't want to hurt you Kouji but I can't always control the flames. I thought I saw a pair of eyes flash in the flames. Eyes that seemed to have sorrow and longing in them.

"Come on If it is Agunimon that means Taky might have survived." I said trying to sound strong. " I know it is not possible though." A tear went down my face. AHHHH! I turned around and saw one of Ophanimon's servants trying to do something to flame. "Hey! What are you doing? You're hurting him." The flame disappeared. Something about that made me want cry out. I see the digimon holding a small round jar with a little flame in it. She handed it to me.

"While you were in trance I was explaining the plan to the others. I thought one of you could tame it and you did it without trying. We are just trying to contain its power. We don't want to hurt it." I looked down at the jar. Hey let me out I don't like it in here. It's tiny and cramped. I laughed everyone looked at me.

"If you could hear he's hilarious." Hey what do you mean by that jerk. I laughed again.

" He has finally lost it talking to a flame. This is weird." Watch it Kouichi or I'll burn you to a crisp. You are just as mean as your brother.

"Hey! That is not very nice to say." Kouichi sulked. He probably thought I was talking him. "For a flame you can be really rude."