I've Been Reading Common Sense by Thomas Paine

I was reading on my chaise lounge when my sister, Eliza came in and disturbed my peace.

"Angelica, what are you reading?" asked Eliza.

"Common Sense." I responded eager for quiet.

"Oh? Who wrote it?" She can't take a hint.

"A fellow named Thomas Paine. He's from Philadelphia." I sighed.

My other sister, Peggy, walked in and gasped, "What would daddy say if he knew you were reading this?"

I stood up with a jolt.

"Peggy, you CAN'T tell him he would go mad." I said fiercely.

"Okay, fine." She spat. "Why are you reading it anyway?"

I sat down and explained, "I want to read and learn more about the new government."

"I don't want the government to change," she whined. "Why can't we stay under the king's rule?"

"Ugh, Peggy." Eliza groaned. " Why do you always have to be such a loyalist?"

"I'm not a loyalist. I just don't like change." Peggy sighed.

"Well things are changing." Eliza said. "Isn't that right Angelica?"

"Uh-huh," I said half-listening. "Listen to this, 'We hold the truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.'"

"What about women?" asked Eliza.

"If there is going to be a new government, then women should at least be a part of it." stated Peggy.

"Who said that?" questioned Eliza.

"Thomas Jefferson." I said.

"Wow," said Eliza. "We need to have that fixed."

"Have what fixed, baby girl?" Daddy walked in the room and smiled at us. I hid my pamphlet in the folds of my chaise.

"Nothing, Daddy." Eliza said sweetly.

"Hey, Daddy, I need a new dress. Can I go into town to get fitted?" I asked.

"Of course, Darling." He said.

"Thank you, Daddy!" I stood up and kissed him on the cheek.

"Ooh, Daddy! Can I go too?" Eliza asked.

"All three of you should go." He said. "There will finally be some peace and quiet around here. I'll call for the chauffeur to bring the carriage around." He turned around and walked out of the room.

"Thank you, Daddy!" We called out.

I headed towards my room to hid my forbidden knowledge when Peggy called out to me.

"You had better hide that well so the maids don't find it and give it to Daddy."

"Shhhhhh. You can't be so loud. These walls aren't sound-proof, you know." I whispered.

"Okay, sure. I'll just whisper in my own home about something against the rules." she snapped.

I rolled my eyes and turned away. I ran up the stairs and decided to hide Common Sense in the crease of one my books on the bookshelf. The maid never looked in my books.

I strode down the stairs to find Daddy telling Eliza and Peggy something.

"Make sure not to go down-town. There is lots of violence and bad ideas there. And be home by sun down."

"Of course, Daddy." They said. They went out the door and stepped into the carriage. When I got to the door, Daddy stopped me.

"Make sure to say out of trouble." He said.

"No problem." I replied. I walked to the carriage and waved to Daddy. I got in the carriage and slipped the chauffeur a dollar.

"Downtown. And remember: not a word."

He nodded solemnly and we rode off.

A/N: WOW, I DID SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE. Chapters are going to be a little short because I'm lazy, but I will try to update as much as possible.